AdWords
1.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Why does my maximum CPC keep dropping automatically on certain keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I created a new ad group and set the maximum CPC for each keyword to £3 but when I go to check it the next day they have all dropped to an extent where I am not even on the first page on some of them. Can anyone please tell me why this would be happening? Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew C
August 2016

Re: Why does my maximum CPC keep dropping automatically on certain keywords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andrew,

That sounds like either some one else has access to the account or you opted into an automated bid strategy earlier, at campaign level. You are advised to check out and exclude these scenarios. Additionally also check out Shared Library / Bid strategies.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew C
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andrew,

That sounds like either some one else has access to the account or you opted into an automated bid strategy earlier, at campaign level. You are advised to check out and exclude these scenarios. Additionally also check out Shared Library / Bid strategies.

Best,
Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Andrew,

In addition to Lakatos' suggestions, it could be that rules were applied in the account so that bids would reduce automatically should xyz occur (such as no conversions in a 30 day time period).

Perhaps you could provide more information?

Best,

Nick

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Max CPC is no guarantee of average position, or average cost per click. Let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples here. Smiley Happy What, specifically, has "dropped"?
Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

Yeah, good point made by Tom Hale Jr. Did the average CPC drop which is a performance metric ? Or did the Maximum CPC drop which is a setting? (I assumed above it was the setting which is a more complex issue. In contrast, if the performance metric drops that's normal and beneficial.)

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses, it looks as if I was on automated bidding (I had tried to search for this prior to posting this message but could not find what I was looking for). So I have switched to manual bidding and this appears to have done the trick for now.

It was my Max CPC that was dropping on a new ad group I had set up, the keywords were dropping from £3.00 per click to anywhere from £0.85 - £1.50 per click, this was happening within a 24 hour period.

Cheers

Andy