AdWords
3.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Why are my "message extensions" not being shown?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yesterday, I added message extensions on the campaign level for one campaign. Hours are Mon-Fri, 9 AM to 10 PM, no start/end date (which means they run when approved). Since then, I've gotten 844 sitelink impressions, 886 callout extensions impressions, 315 call extensions impressions, 4 location extension impressions, 288 price extensions impressions, 891 Sellers Rating extensions, but NOT A SINGLE message extension impressions.

The adwords account is targeting Spain, and there is no indication that the extension is disapproved (no indication that it's approved, either).

Are message extensions working in Spain? If so, what might be the problem?

Thanks!
Ed Eichman
Cambrils, Spain

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If the call extensions are working, then I would expect the message extensions to work, since they are simply a different type of call across the same GSM network. However, it is possible that there is a unique situation in Spain. e.g. it is possible there could be technical or accounting issues between Google and the carriers, which are country, carrier, or regulatory-specific. Google should be able to tell you.

What are your numbers on mobile impressions vs desktop/laptop?  Of course message extensions are only going to be shown when ads are served to mobile devices. 

This might be a situation where Google support would know more than those of us providing volunteer support here on this forum. 

fyi even when you have the message extensions working, this is a new AdWords capability so users are just starting to discover and use them. imho there will be a market adaptation period during which users start to "discover" them and then start to use them more frequently.  I am getting some conversions from them in campaigns, but it is a bit of a slow start. I do expect message extensions will end up becoming a mainstream, raging success as they are more widely deployed and people become accustomed to how they work. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

I have 618 mobile impressions, 621 desktop (and 114 tablet) on the campaign. I will call Google support when their phone lines open.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have my doubts about how good it will work in Spain. 99% of messages are sent with Whatsapp (which everyone has) rather than SMS (which used to be, and possibly still is, a paid service on most plans here).

Although I greatly appreciate your detailed reply, I assume I should not mark it as an "accepted solution", since the problem still exists. Yell if you believe that is incorrect.

Gracias, Steve!

Have a good one,

Ed

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It sounds like based on usage patterns, mobile extensions don't have as rosy of outlook as in the US where sms text messaging is unlimited in most mobile phone plans, thus pervasive.

I agree it is still an unknown.  Best of luck figuring it out!