AdWords
2.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Why Keyword Planner is not displaying the graph with volumes when looking for keyword ideas?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Adwords Community,

I'm a beginner in Adwords and as a self-learner I found some troubles and hurdles with Google Adwords interface. In this case, I am writing to see if any soul mate can answer my query. I read a few articles and blog post about this issue, but I am looking for a valid source.

I'm using Keyword Planner Tool to do some keyword research, but when copying or choosing keywords to the search bar, the graph with average volume of monthly searches doesn't appear anymore. And instead of providing granular data about the queries by displaying an estimated amount. Now I see the volume represented in 1K - 10K or something alike.

I recently paused the campaign because I wanted to dig more into the Adwords interface and implement conversion tracking on the landing pages. I also modified the campaign structure to give more sense to each AdGroups.

As I am not sure if the "Keyword Planner Tool" feature is only available when running Ads, or is it because Adwords is only favouring high-spending advertisers. As I am new in this field, I appreciate if some could shed some light in here.

Thank you for your time,
Javier

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Javier V
December 2016

Why Keyword Planner is not displaying the graph with volumes when looking for keyword ideas?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
During Q3 2016 Google had to make a change to the keyword planning tool due to misuse. Accounts that are below a spending threshold per month are only able to see limited search volume information.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Javier V
December 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
During Q3 2016 Google had to make a change to the keyword planning tool due to misuse. Accounts that are below a spending threshold per month are only able to see limited search volume information.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply Steve, where can I find this spending threshold amount that Google uses to classify advertisers into Higher, Medium or Lower monthly spenders?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

As far as I'm aware, Google has not published any thresholds. If they did, it would likely lead to the same abuse problem.  

However, it's a fair assumption if the keyword planner is used along with a normal AdWords campaign, it's capabilities will be made available fairly quickly. 

There are a lot of 3rd party keyword tools, which you can find by searching on Google. We don't recommend specific tools here because that would quickly turn this forum into a promotional style forum for vendors.  The primary focus here is peer-to-peer support of advertisers, by advertisers. 

Sorry i couldn't be more specific, but i hope that helps with your campaign and learning curve!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

While the keyword planning tool is undeniably useful, it is not critical to creating and running AdWords campaigns.

For bidding, in an already built campaign you can see the bids required to be on the first page or top of the first page. These are more accurate (real-time, relating to your specific account and its settings) than the planner.

For keyword research, you should have enough to get started. You can use modified broad match keywords to capture every key phrase the keyword tool will provide - just make sure to regularly check search terms and add negatives.