AdWords
2.6K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Wayfair owns Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When ONE company can have the top EIGHT ad positions for a long-tail word search, something is WRONG. For furniture, do this search:

https://www.google.com/#q=white+french+country+sideboard

Wayfair owns EIGHT of the nine positions. So you see mostly some cheap sideboards made in China that are not really French country looking at all. They also have three of the top 10 organic positions. They are not known for this type of furniture and yet they OWN almost all key positions in a Google search, including organic. 

Is Google an investor in Wayfair?

Something stinks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Wayfair owns Google

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Donna J,

No, they are not... and no, nothing is stinky with the results. I am not seeing your results at all and see a very diverse display of shopping ads across the top and a diverse listings of organic placements.

Shopping Ads:

1) Joss & Main

2) AFA Stores

3) Joss & Main

4) Wayfair

5) Target

6) Overstock

Organic Listings:

1) EBay
2) The Bella Cottage
3) Houzz
4) Wayfair
5) Wayfair
6) Wayfair
7) Wayfair
8) Wayfair
9) Etsy
10) Belle Escape

My results would suggest that you are searching and clicking on Wayfair or someone at your home/office is... or that they are better optimized for the search term and they actually do have the item. The other websites should do a better job of targeting this topic of furniture, if they have it.  

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just redid the same search. Wayfair is indeed in 7 of the eight product listing ads with images -see the image below. One of the product listing ads that shows up when you search on White French Country Sideboard - shows a brown console - and some other pieces are not even sideboards - and many of the ones showing up aren't even claiming to be French country. Here's the thing: Wayfair isn't particularly known for French country furniture. They sell everything. Obviously they are bidding the most  per click. But Google has always claimed that the ads they display must also be highly relevant vis a vis the search terms entered. And that's not happening. Wayfair is monopolizing all positions - even when their products aren't the best fit. The images and organic search are indeed quite relevant, but the product listings ads clearly do not weight the relevance of what someone is searching for very highly. The results have not always been like this. This is fairly new - so it appears that Google is now much more focused on ad dollars than search relevance. Making $$ is important...but overtime, if the most relevant items aren't showing up, people will just start using a different search engine.  Kind Regards, D.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Donna J,

I agree with @James_Clemens here. When I do a US search this is what comes up e.g. as organic results: ebay, theballettcottage, houzz, 4 * wayfair, belleescape, and hayneedle. 

Shopping: Joss and Main, Staphanie Cohen Home, AFA Stores, and Bliss Home and Design. - No search ads.

In agreement with @James_Clemens, my best guess is that you clicked on wayfair results multiple times formerly and Google - as it is known - customizes the SERP displayed on your screen based on your searching habits. 

Paradoxically, you assume Google has a bias for wayfair while Google supposes it's you who does.

Best,

Lakatos

Capture-aug20.PNG

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Donna J,

You state:

Here's the thing: Wayfair isn't particularly known for French country furniture. They sell everything. Obviously they are bidding the most  per click. But Google has always claimed that the ads they display must also be highly relevant vis a vis the search terms entered. And that's not happening.

Let's take a look at this.

1) A company does not need to be particularly known for, they only need to have the item, which when I searched and clicked on their organic placement, I found what their placement stated they had. I was not disappointed at all. I say this as a retired, third-generation Italian furniture designer/builder. I can clearly see what I expected to. The fact that the retailer sells everything is a positive to me, as a shopper, not a negative. I can say that with my background in furniture and as a badged Google Partner, I could certainly compete against WF without a problem. And really anyone else could, too, with some website optimization and smart ad creation. 

2) Yes, they are running shopping ads, not search ads, and another retailer could focus their efforts on outperforming them by running a higher bid (using top placement bid), building a better website (landing page relevancy) with H1, H2, and H3 titles that clearly define this type of product, doing a better job at listing their products (product/content relevancy).

3) Yes, Google states that and delivers that 99.97% of the time. Can things go astray at times that gets corrected, sure. But in this case, I just do not agree that is happening. If I was shopping for this item, I would not be displeased with these results... however, if I was a competing retailer that could not see my own ads... I could be frustrated that my advertising game plan did not outpace competitors. And if that was the case, I would see #2 and I would build a better mousetrap, which is what auction-based advertising is about. Trillions of webpages online... trillions of searches seeking precisely what they want.

@Lakatos and I ended up with much the same SERPs (search engine result pages) doing the same search as you... yet you did not. Again, this presents us to believe Google is feeding us SERPs based on us not searching for this items, and presenting you with a different set based on your history searching and clicking on WF ads and organic placements. You are training Google to think you want WF over the rest by doing so, as Lakatos points out.  

I am sorry I do not agree, in this situation, with your assumptions. After careful review and consideration (and a non-Google employee), I feel the SERPs fits the criteria correctly and honestly. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I totally get what you're saying. And no need to be defensive...I am an avid Google user, and have been committed, if not addicted, for years. But things are changing. For the first time ever, I am feeling like I'm not getting what I'm looking for...and that search engines like Yahoo! and MSN are actually doing a better job - and that just seems bizarre! I'm actually trying to give feedback that is useful and I do appreciate your thoughtful comments. So in my effort to really make this issue clear, let me try to explain this another way - from a user standpoint.

- Recently I purchased a new home and starting doing searches for items I need
- I was shocked by how many product listing, text ads and organic ads were taken by Wayfair, Overstock and Target
- I clicked on items from those stores...curious...even bought a rug and tv stand from Overstock and a larger item from Wayfair. They are great for low prices on certain types of items.
- As you say, that must have been factored in to Google's algorithm when I did searches...because after that, my search results were dominated by Wayfair...and to a lesser extent, Overstock. But here's where I think the Algorithm gets it wrong. If I have shopped at certain store or clicked on their ads..then I am already familiar with them. I will most certainly go directly to those websites and do a Search. But when I continue to search using a search engine, I am hoping to find things that I can't easily find otherwise. But Google results now keep giving me items from Wayfair. That Search on White French Country Sideboard resulted (on my computer) in two Wayfair text ads, seven (out of 8) Wayfair product listing ads (none of them really what I had in mind) and three organic hits. Suddenly, I felt like Wayfair must own Google or vis-a-versa. It was frustrating and ridiculous.
- So finally I could no longer search on Google. I then went to Yahoo! and MSN...and directly to Houzz to do my searches. And then I started finding items that seemed more well suited to my search terms...and that has never happened before.

Look, I have no beef with Wayfair. It's a great company...they are super smart and have the Google system wired. And luckily for them, they have a ton of VC $$ that allows them to dominate the first page of Google in just about any home decor area by product type or style...they want to be the only one left standing so that eventually they won't have to pay such large amounts per click. I get this...it's brilliant.

The problem is that for the user...the person searching...who just wants to find exactly what they have in mind...seeing 12 hits for the same company on the first page of Google is a huge disappointment and feels a bit rigged. I don't want to be bombarded with results from just ONE company...I just want to find items that most closely resemble what I'm looking for. And that's no longer happening...at least not on my computer.

Kind Regards,

Donna

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Donna J,

I do get what you are saying and appreciate the further explanation. And I do know of your frustration, too.

If you did the same search and then ignored WF and went to page two or other listings and clicked and roamed those sites, your SERPs would change soon enough. But, I get that your point is with the algorithm and it feeding custom results based on history. I can only say that if you went to page two, three, four... etc... those same websites would be there (as on other search engines) and would soon move to your first page results after ignoring WF.

I also think other advertisers and website developers need to do a better a job... not that Google is favoring WF or that WF is doing too good of a job with their website structure and further dominance in the SERPs. I give them credit for performing so well.  

I would add that those other search engines will ultimately do the same thing with your SERPs based on your searches & clicks. You could surf in incognito mode, turn off your search history, clear your cache and cookies, all of which will help some.

Again, I know there is not much any of us can do other than to discuss this further in a friendly conversation, as we are, and I am sorry that is our only recourse. I hope you eventually found the perfect furnishings for your new home and everyone is settled in and enjoying it. It can be quite the ordeal getting everything decorated ideally so... and to everyone's acceptance.

Have a great weekend!

Kind Regards,

James  

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi @Donna J - try running the same search on an incognito window - are the results different?