AdWords
2.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Unsollicited and excessive links...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Version 59.0.3071.134 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am using a Google Chromebook. 

In the past few days, any searches for anything have resulted in a mass publication of sponsored links at the top of the search results page which means scrolling down past at least 20 unsolicited search results, many of which are completely irrelevant to the search topic! 

Can these be eliminated please? They are irritating, intrusive, and totally inconvenient. How can I prevent such a massive influx of entirely superfluous links appearing? 
The Screenshot below* shows the results when searching for 'netsuke'. I received 6 unconnected, unwanted and irrelevant advert links. 

This afternoon, I searched the definition of 'Honden'  (The most sacred building in a Shinto Shrine). I get adverts from Honda dealers!  Jeesh! 

I don't want this sudden, intrusive and frankly unwarranted excessive advertising links! 
Screenshot 2017-08-01 at 06.57.23.pngscreenshot 1st august 2017

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexandra A,

You are very welcome. 

My apologies for discussing security countermeasures for your Google Chromebook. I spend many hours per week working on Windows machines. 

Typically, the issue with a Chromebook is in the Chrome browser via a Chrome browser extension. Please use this information to learn more about other steps to take and then, if needed... to reset Chrome

If absolutely needed, and as a last report... you could reset the entire Google Chromebook by using this information. This would be my last resort, but one that brings a fresh and new user experience... which I always enjoy.

Since this help inquiry is now about Google Chrome and not about AdWords... if you need further assistance, please do lean on our great Google Chrome help community. They are there to assist (and we are here to assist with AdWords).

Best wishes to you.  

Cheers,

James 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @Alexandra A

These ads are not  marked as Google ads (see link below).   I also noticed an ad blocker extension in your Chrome (ABP). I suspect that the ads  you see are somehow linked to the ad blocker extension. Try to remove it.

Read more about Google ads and opting out form personalized ads:

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/7029660

https://support.google.com/adsense/troubleshooter/1631343?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Completely disabled and uninstalled adblocker.

Made absolutely no difference whatsoever. 

.... Now what....? Smiley Very Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Clear cache, cookies, and search for malware using a good tool.

Can you upload a screenshot in incognito mode? (I suspect a malware).

Those  do not seem to be Google ads. (Google ads are clearly marked with the word "ad " in a square next to the ad -this is not the case)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Unsollicited and excessive links...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Moshe is correct, completely (not surprising to me).

These are not Google AdWords ads and you do have some type of malware infection. You should reset Google Chrome, update it... then run some virus and malware scans. What type of security software countermeasures do you use? 

Here is a screenshot from my system:

google uk search.jpg

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for your sound and knowledgeable advice. Unfortunately, I seem to have left you both with the impression that I know what I'm doing (!) Ok, a couple of questions: 

If I clear cache and cookies, I presume all my passwords will also be up the swanee? 

How do I 'reset' Google Chrome? Will I lose saved data? (I know there is a powerwash "thingy" which I am very, very reluctant to implement!)

I am not rich. I have to be careful with my money, and my salary is low, so I can't afford to spend  a lot on security systems, so could you recommend a good virus malware scan programme that (ahem) I wouldn't need to pay for? (I'm also British. We Brits can be very backward when it comes to technology.... Smiley Very Happy )

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexandra A,

You are very welcome. 

My apologies for discussing security countermeasures for your Google Chromebook. I spend many hours per week working on Windows machines. 

Typically, the issue with a Chromebook is in the Chrome browser via a Chrome browser extension. Please use this information to learn more about other steps to take and then, if needed... to reset Chrome

If absolutely needed, and as a last report... you could reset the entire Google Chromebook by using this information. This would be my last resort, but one that brings a fresh and new user experience... which I always enjoy.

Since this help inquiry is now about Google Chrome and not about AdWords... if you need further assistance, please do lean on our great Google Chrome help community. They are there to assist (and we are here to assist with AdWords).

Best wishes to you.  

Cheers,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for your assistance. I'll do as you suggest. Here's hoping! 

Many thanks,

Kindest, Alexandra