AdWords
2.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Unable to launch new campaign - limit on number of AdGroups?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

A client of my has tried to launch a new AW Campaign, but it won't go live.  When they called AW Support they were told that the ratio of Budget to AdGroups is too low.  They currently have about 5000 kw, each with it's own AdGroup (1 kw per AdGroup), so 5000 AdGroups, with a daily budget of about $75 per day.

The daily budget is low since this is just a test.

Does this make sense to anyone?  They cannot launch a new campaign because the daily budget is too low given the number of AdGroups.  If so, what's the magic number they have to commit to in order to run a new campaign?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Keenan Glass

It does.... (make sense...)

This campaign cannot be managed effectively. I question the need for  5000 KWs, and I am sure that the Pareto principle holds. .I also question the strategy of one KW per ad-group. This has become, lately, quite popular strategy  with no real theoretical background. (IMHO) Advertisers (who use this strategy) have forgotten that the system would match the most restrictive KW. So the classic strategy should certainly suffice for that small budget.....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks @MosheTLV, i agree it's a bit of a ridiculous and unwieldy strategy, but they seem to be following some AW training course which told them to do it this way.  

The question is, does Google really have a minimum Budget to AW Groups ratio that must be met before they will release the campaign into the wild?  If so, what's that number?  

If that number is met, then what other parameters would have to be met, if any? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Keenan Glass

Well.... If I were you (and you could refer them to this discussion), I would convince them that this is the wrong path to take, without getting into account limits....

AdWords is  a system which its  future performances (end states) are strongly affected by its history (aka hysteresis). If the campaign performs bad at the start, the consequences on future (campaign)  performances could be horrendous.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@MosheTLV  Thanks again for your input, I'll get them to reorganize the campaign's kws into broader AdGroups, then we can peel off the performers once they begin to show conversions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There user interface is a joke and looks like some kid from India put it together. I start out low on my budget too when I first start because I have not clue what is going to happen. Also, the fact you can't get rid of a lot of the old data makes things confusing sometimes. It is just a mess with poor instructions and service.