AdWords
2.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Transferring AdWords and Analytics accounts from Agency to Client

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have read up multiple answers to the above questions and some times it is a yes and sometimes it is a no. 

I have two simple questions. I am switching ad agencies. The existing ad agency does not want to give my company access to the  AdWords and Analytics accounts and is asking me to start anew with the new ad agency. 

Question 1: 

Can the AdWord account be transferred to my company's name? Currently the account is in the agency's name and the agency has been buying media on our behalf. The agency has multiple big brand clients so I am assuming that they use the same account for more purchases. Also I am talking about a big 3 ad agency and they said no they cannot hand over access to the account.

Question 2:

Can the Google Analytic account be transferred to my company's name? Same background as well.

I know there are many threads on this topic. I would like a clear and simple answer so that I can close discussions with both the agencies.

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
February 2016

Re: Transferring AdWords and Analytics accounts from Agency to Client

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Umair B

Breaking this up into two parts.

1) From what you've described it sounds like the first agency is violating Adwords 3rd party management guidelines. You can read up on them here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6086450?hl=en
If they are managing Adwords on your behalf you should own the account that is being managed.  Yes you can technically export campaign items like ads and keywords, but the history and data will not come along with it.  You are essentially starting over, and that's not necessarily a good thing. 

2) Analytics is the same way. It should be your account and you've given them access to it.  It sounds like they created a new property in their account. If you look at the source code of your website, what is the UA number in the Analytics code? Look at the very last number after the dash.(UA-XXXXXXX-X)  If it's anything higher than 1, it's most likely been setup as a property in their account.  They could technically give you access to that property only, but that's not ideal because it's still their account.  If that last number after the dash is a 1, then it may be possible to give you the account associated with it.

I'm not sure you have any legal recourse, but if this agency is a certified Google Partner you most definitely have a reason to file a complaint against them with Google. You can use this form to file a complaint: https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/thirdparty_complaint?hl=en

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Guess what, yes if they had set up the GA and Adwords while under contract to you. It would be like your web developer owning your CMS.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes. They did set up the account while under contract to us. I do not want to get into a legal dispute. The agency has informed me that it is not technically possible to segment my data from the other client's data and hence they cannot "migrate" the account to the client's name.

I am not sure how much of that excuse is true or false because I am getting multiple answers online from multiple people. Some say that it can be done. A friend who works at Google says (unofficially) that accounts cannot be migrated especially for GA. Another person said that for Adwords the best bet is do a full export in excel and upload to the new account.

I am super confused in terms of what is the true situation.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
February 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Umair B

Breaking this up into two parts.

1) From what you've described it sounds like the first agency is violating Adwords 3rd party management guidelines. You can read up on them here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6086450?hl=en
If they are managing Adwords on your behalf you should own the account that is being managed.  Yes you can technically export campaign items like ads and keywords, but the history and data will not come along with it.  You are essentially starting over, and that's not necessarily a good thing. 

2) Analytics is the same way. It should be your account and you've given them access to it.  It sounds like they created a new property in their account. If you look at the source code of your website, what is the UA number in the Analytics code? Look at the very last number after the dash.(UA-XXXXXXX-X)  If it's anything higher than 1, it's most likely been setup as a property in their account.  They could technically give you access to that property only, but that's not ideal because it's still their account.  If that last number after the dash is a 1, then it may be possible to give you the account associated with it.

I'm not sure you have any legal recourse, but if this agency is a certified Google Partner you most definitely have a reason to file a complaint against them with Google. You can use this form to file a complaint: https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/thirdparty_complaint?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you David for the input. Yes. The agency is a certified Google Partner and we can probably take it up with Google. We dont want to start that discussion for now and i would consider that as a last resort i.e. to complain to Google. The account is in the Agency's name and I agree it should have been our account where we would have given them access and unfortunately it is not how so.

Thank you for the help anyways.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
"Also I am talking about a big 3 ad agency and they said no they cannot hand over access to the account."

If I had to guess, this is a Premier Partner. I've read about these and have encountered this myself in the past.

I would absolutely contact Google immediately and see what you can do (if anything) - don't feel bad about reporting this. There are so many agencies that follow the guidelines and if this agency did, there would be no issue at all giving you control and access to both your AdWords and Analytics accounts. Also, as mentioned before, send them the 3rd party guidelines and ask them to explain.

I hate to hear about these scenarios myself and I believe you should fight to get what should be yours to begin with.

Good Luck!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Tommy for the encouraging words. I will have a final discussion with the Agency before proceeding to a discussion with Google.

From what I have read, Google does not get involved in such discussions and avoids taking side. The issue is that we are talking about millions of dollars worth of advertising and its a small world when it comes to anything especially media buying. I will let the community know how things develop from here.