AdWords
2.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting By Household Income

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Has anyone here used the Targeting by household income option?

I am trying to understand how it works:

1) Can I use this option for search campaigns?

2) When would you recommend using this targeting option?

Thanks,

Ran

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPC R
April 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

1) Yes - (as @MosheTLV already pointed out.)

2) That depends... I would try adding the income targeting settings to the existing campaign(s), within the existing targeted areas, and keep an eye on the data in the location reports. If you find that a particular income level performs better, or worse than, then you can raise/lower your bid adjustment, or reduce the targeting to only the most effective income/area(s).

As Moshe also pointed out, there may be more effective ways to accomplish your advertising goals. What is the goal you are trying to accomplish?

Tom

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Here you are;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

If you are promoting a niche product (e.g marketed to high income or high end products) this could be an option to narrow the targeting audience.

Though I prefer  other targeting methods to narrow  targeting audience:: e.g re-marketing, RLSA, a display campaign focused on topics or placements....etc

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

For some reason Editor is giving me an error saying "household incomes are only allowed in video campaign types"?

Do you know anything about this? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Try on the AdWords UI

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

It's what it says on the tin: at this time, AdWords only supports household income targeting in Video campaigns. Editor is just the messenger.

Re: Targeting By Household Income

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Demographic targeting USA.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So it is not available for Search campaigns at this time?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

It is available -I uploaded a screenshot of a search campaign

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Ah. That's different, so-called semantic geotargeting: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043#demographic . I believe it works by, effectively, targeting individual ZIP codes based on their average income levels. Editor doesn't support this.

Household income targeting (briefly mentioned here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2454017 ) that Editor supports is similar to other demographic targeting (age, gender, parental status). It works by trying to guess the income of an individual user.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPC R
April 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

1) Yes - (as @MosheTLV already pointed out.)

2) That depends... I would try adding the income targeting settings to the existing campaign(s), within the existing targeted areas, and keep an eye on the data in the location reports. If you find that a particular income level performs better, or worse than, then you can raise/lower your bid adjustment, or reduce the targeting to only the most effective income/area(s).

As Moshe also pointed out, there may be more effective ways to accomplish your advertising goals. What is the goal you are trying to accomplish?

Tom