AdWords
2.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Suspended account for unknown reason

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello community. I'm writing you this because my client's account got suspended and we can't figure out why. Never got adwords acc suspended before.

Basically we were running for around 3 months and spent mid 5 figures so far and had no problems. For anything that I was not sure about I called the support and asked them to directly check with their compliance team to be 100% sure. I care much about this account and client because we were planning to scale to at least 6 figures per month.

Long story short, we had to pause all our campaigns to optimize our backend and we were not running anything during these 20 days, but then when I logged in, saw the message that the account was suspended(?!)

I called the support and they don't know the reason why. They just said it said 'cloaking' but will further investigate because they are not sure. Like, seriously ?!

- We don't do any kind of cross domain redirects or cloaking (we use tracking domain with tracking templates, but that's not the point here because I was instructed by google how to do this correctly... )
- Account got banned around 18 days after we paused all the traffic. It's impossible to 'cloak' if you are not buying traffic. Cloak what, 0 impressions and clicks?
- We really don't have to do anything shady because we worked closely with google support to make everyone happy and so everything is compliant
- All campaigns that were approved didn't change one bit after they were approved... + we checked via phone to make sure they are ok with everything.

Only thing that comes to my mind why this happened is that we ran traffic to two different domains that had the same (leadgen insurance) offer which are both my clients (bot not from the same ad!)

This might have confused google/review team. We didn't do any cross domain split tests or anything like that. 

We had our man example.com where we had lead buyers in the backend but we noticed we were getting shaved so my client created similar offer on example.co to see the difference in conversion rate etc.

We didn't start the new campaign or ad group, but just REMOVED all the ads that led to example.com and created one (best performing) ad for fast test only on already working campaign/adgroup to lead to example.co

I know this isn't breaking the rules because policy says that you can run only one domain inside of a ad group [BUT] If you want to add an ad that leads to another domain inside of that ad group, you must REMOVE (not pause) all ads that led to the old domain.

Is it possible that review team got confused by the example.com and example.co and thought we were cloaking? Because, no rules were broken. All the ads in the ad group that led to example.com were removed.

Please help if you know what could it be. To me it looks like review team was confused by the com vs co domains and thought we were doing something shady although everything was strictly by googles policy which was confirmed X time to me via phone.

Don't they have notes for all my calls what I asked and about what we talked about? Because that would definitely prove we were 100% open about everything we were doing.

Tnx in advance.

Niko.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
What was the reason for suspension mentioned in the email received from Google?. (Look for this email - it is the key for understanding the issue)
Please share the URL of the site suspended.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV. Thanks for reply.

This was the email:
-----
This message was sent from a notification-only email address that does not accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us through the AdWords Help Center at https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/request.py.

Hello AdWords Advertiser,
Your AdWords account has been suspended because it doesn't comply with our Advertising Policies and our AdWords Terms and Conditions. Please note that this means your account and any related accounts have been suspended, you can't create any new accounts, and your ads will no longer run on Google, our search partners, or on Display Network placements.
If this is an error, we want to get your account back up and running as quickly as possible, and your Google team is here to help. Here's the account:
Customer ID: 7454319352
To learn more about AdWords suspension policies, please visit
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2375414?guide=28446&rd=1&hl=en_US.
If you have a prepaid balance remaining in your account, you can request a refund at any time by following the instructions at https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8440?hl=en_US.

This message was sent from a notification-only email address that doesn't accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message. If you'd like to reach us, you can contact us through the methods described at https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/form_r0?hl=en_US.
Sincerely,
The Google AdWords Team
-----

Can't reveal links here until I hear from my client but all url's were approved on around 20 different campaigns (in 2-3 months of running) and green light via phone from the compliance team multiple times as well. This is for both search and GDN the case.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Is your form secure?

Do you have a privacy policy on the site?

Are there advertisements on the site?

When the form is submitted, do they end up at a different site?

Do you have testimonials?

Do you mention rates or prices without qualifying them?

There are many reasons why your site/account might be suspended.

Prior to your account being suspended, you probably had a site suspended. Look for that email, or hover over the speech bubble next to ads. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This email signal that there had been  several violations not addressed. Without seeing the site, we can only speculate.... (And that doesn't help much...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob. Thanks for replying.

The form is not secure

Yes, privacy policy, terms, contact, address, phone number...

No Ads on the site

They don't end up on a different site

No testimonials

No rates or prices - only vague 'scarcity' and possibility of cheaper prices that was allowed and pre-approved by google via phone (asked them several times and every time they gave me green light).

Checked it now and the site was not suspended. Everything worked fine. The thing, is ban came around 20 days after the campaigns were already paused.

Only email that came was regarding a disapproved ad b/c only one domain can be per ad group. So I 'removed' the old ads and added the new one that's on different domain and they approved it.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6088505#210

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

edit: links removed

These are the links (remove the spaces). Same was tested (like explained above) on .co domain  that is not active atm. Migrating to another server.

Note: I'll remove the links after 24hrs. Thanks in advance for your time.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Two major problems:

Form isn't secure

Once the form is filled, people click on buttons to visit other sites for their quotes.

AdWords doesn't allow sites where the primary purpose to send people elsewhere (ie affiliate sites).

• Landing pages that are solely designed to send users elsewhere

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en-AU

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Rob. 

Regarding the form not being secure, I doubt that's the reason for an account suspension. It might get campaign disapproved or something, but definitely not suspension because it is easily fixed. Especially after I got green light from compliance and review team multiple times. I explicitly asked for a review after the approval and they were fine with EVERYTHING.

Now, if they don't know their own job, why would only I (and my client) get 'penalized' even tho I really tried to make it work by being open with them about everything? Have on mind, these are minor things. If that's something that can cause you lose accounts on google, I will most definitely not suggest any of my new clients to advertise on google in the future. I can't tell to my client that support told me "We don't know why it was suspended"

Btw about the 'offer wall' in the backend.

People get called from the call center once they fill out the forms to try to give them the best deal possible. That's just the backend offer wall that literally every insurance lead gen site on adwords has once you go through the funnel. It's just a common practice in the market and it can easily be checked by typing common insurance phrases in the search and going through their funnels. 

P.S. I'd only like to add this, especially if decision makers at google adwords are members of this community. Google is losing valuable clients and businesses this way. Instead of trying to help, educate and make it work, they rather suspend acc. It's not 2005 when google was the only big player in town. There is more ad networks then ever in the space today so I really can't wrap my mind about the way they resolve this minor issues (which weren't issues during multiple reviews). It's my first ban ever on my agencies MCC, but I'm obviously really frustrated about it because I'm building business for google by bringing them clients and in return "they don't know why it's suspended"...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi again,

The thing is, Google can't tell what happens with the form fill, or even if anything happens. So all they see is the form and then a page with links elsewhere - and that's against policy. 

As we have seen time and time again here, just because other advertisers are currently running ads for sites that are against policy, that doesn't mean you are exempt. I just means they haven't been suspended yet. 

So my advice for this sort of site is to not have anything that links to external sites. 

While your opinion on Google is frequently heard here - and I once had to fire 10 staff because of Google making a new policy - paramount to Google is user experience. If people searching for insurance see a number of ads that all provide essentially the same thing, that's not good experience. Google prefers actual providers of a service to advertise, rather than middlemen looking for a referral fee.