AdWords
4.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Set Bid Adjustment For Devices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The set bid adjustments for different devices (computers, mobile, and tablets) has been rolled out this month to my account and i have noticed something quite worrying on how much i am paying across the different devices - only since this change/update came into effect.

Prior to being able to set different different bids across devices the avg.cpc i was paying (on all devices) was approx around the 'est top page bids' given in my account.

Post the bid adjustment rollout i've noticed my computer devices incoming avg cpc's have stayed the same, however mobile and tablet avg cpc's have almost trebbled in price.

**Does anyone know if ALL devices now are still estimated from the figure given in the account (est first page bids, top page bids) or do all devices now have their ownseperate estimates?**

1 Expert replyverified_user

Set Bid Adjustment For Devices

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Danny,

Interesting catch. I also found this rolled out during this week for my client accounts. Overall I can say that this was one of the flexibility which most of the advertisers wanted for long time and now we have that. My suggestion would be to separate out the device level campaigns and do the bid adjustment and see which performs at which level in terms of all the metrics including Avg. CPC also. That would help you identify which devices require more cost and which less, plus other advantages in terms of conversions, ROI etc...

Pankaj

Re: Set Bid Adjustment For Devices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Pankaj,

I think they've rolled this out without fully understanding the implications.

Since the roll out its only computer devices which are within acceptable levels of my keywords estimated first/top bids.

Mobile and tablet devices just seem to be using default bids without any keyword history. (default ad rank calculation)

No problem if they've rolled out bid adjustments for different devices, but all devices should all still be using the est first/top page estimates for that keyword(s)

Re: Set Bid Adjustment For Devices

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Further Issues;

When all 3 device types are active for a keyword (using same max cpc) general performance suffers for all devices. Eg. higher cost per clicks, lower average positions.

However if just one device is used to advertise on google search (and the remaining two devices are made redundant by setting their bids to -100%) the remaining devices performance will instantly increase (lower cost per clicks and higher avg position)

As soon as all 3 devices are set to share the same max cpc all device performance decreases again!