AdWords
1.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Safer Internet Day Post: Battling the Bots

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello everyone. Hope all is well and the revenues are gushing through AdWords like the powerful Niagara Falls.

Today marks Safer Internet Day, a global initiative to promote safer and more responsible use of online technology and mobile devices. It’s kinda like Christmas for those of us that work in the security space - only instead of presents, we have a global audience to discuss security issues. To celebrate this day, I will be posting everyday this week on some of our most pertinent security issues.

Let’s start with some great work we’ve done to keep our ads systems safe. I’m talking about taking the fight to ad fraud bots. Ad fraud botnets are a nasty group of malware infected computers controlled by the bad guys (unknowingly to the computer owners) to generate huge amounts non-human ad traffic volume. Remember when you were young and one kid in the neighbourhood got chicken pox and ruined the whole summer vacation by infecting everyone (yeah, I’ll never forget you Marcus*)? That’s kind of how botnets work. They are a significant threat to the budgets of advertisers, the reputation of publishers, and the safety of consumers. Here at Google, we are take such threats seriously and have put in place extensive technology checks and filters to safeguard against this type of traffic.

Good news: Today, we’ve introduced a new feature that automates the filtering of traffic from the top ad fraud botnets that we monitor and defend against - including the BEDEP botnet. One of the key benefits of this new feature is that it is resilient to changes in the malware that generates this botnet traffic. We have also developed the capability to significantly protect our systems against traffic generated by this malware through an automated, scalable, and seamless filter. This filter is already available to all marketers on DoubleClick Bid Manager and Google Display Network (GDN).

Battling the bots.png

For a full overview of how we are fighting bots, please see our post on the Google Adwords blog.

Thanks for reading. Stay tuned for the next post tomorrow.

* For legal reasons, the name of my childhood mortal enemy has been changed :-)

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Safer Internet Day Post: Battling the Bots

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Thanks for sharing, Elijah--can't wait for tomorrow's post!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Fascinating !
Shared on twitter.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thx for sharing !

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Thanks for reading and sharing MosheTLV