AdWords
6.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Receiving a error message after I am trying to import a excel to CSV file.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have recently added Google Adwords Editor to use for a lead generation campaign.  I formatted an excel spread sheet and followed completed instructions with this.  After the formatting, I then saved the file as a CSV file such that the file could be imported into Google Adwords and I could then start to manage the campaign accordingly.  After I imported the saved CSV file into Google Adwords, the error message of "A required account column is missing" !!  Has anyone seen or experienced this error message before and how was it corrected?

Regards,

Kevin M. Sykes

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Try importing from the Account menu of the open window of the account you wish to import, instead of the from the Accounts manager dialog.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Kevin, how are things?

Based on the message you're getting, you're probably missing one default column that should exist.

Can you provide more details on what you're trying to upload? You can also download a sheet from within Adwords and use that already, instead of putting together one of your own, this usually helps with this problem.

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I'm trying to upload negative keywords across multiple ad groups and getting the same error message.

I tried uploading through the open window on the web application rather than AWE but the changes haven't come through. Can you please explain how you can download a spreadsheet from Adwords instead? Many thanks. 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Uploading works best at the "Tab Level" of the interface, in my experience.  

The best way to get the format right, is to first DOWNLOAD a .csv from whatever tab (page) you're going to upload to; then edit that spreadsheet - without changing the column names or layout.  

I like to import them into Google Sheets, then freeze the first two rows.  Summary rows may be deleted, then you can sort on various columns as you work on it before re-uploading.

hth 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you - could you be more specific how exactly I download the csv in the first place from the page? i.e. where do I need to actually click to get there! I can't see where the right button is...