AdWords
1.9K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Preview Tool Error - Location United Kingdom

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Adwords has rolled out quite a few updates to its system over the past few weeks, and since these updated roll outs i have noticed a huge error in how the preview tool is displaying adverts when the location is set to the United Kindgom (UK)

When UK advertisers search for a keyword on the preview tool for the location United Kingdom - Only the search results are showing small affiliate advertisers in the top positions of google search and demoting huge multi national companies ad positions. This is occuring approx 1 in every 3 impressions.

This must be a technical issue due to the below circumstances;

• These small affilate companies are generally showing on the second and third pages of google search - but for some reason 1 in 3 impressions results in them showing in the top google search positions on page one (A temporary search increase of approx over 11-14 ad placements). The remaining other searches they revert back to showing on pages 2 and 3 of google search.

My industry is insurance & finance so the top positions are dominated by companies such as moneysupermarket, go compare, L&G etc, so its impossible that this can occur.

• This is limited to happen only when United Kingdom is selected as the location. As the United kingdom is an accumilation of the regions Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland when these locations are selected to search for the same keywords, this error in ranking does not take place and the search results are correct with no issues.

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi SCL,

The primary goal of the Preview Tool is to show how paid ads are displayed on the SERPs at various locations. True it also shows natural rankings on the first page, however that feature is of secondary importance or even lower. If you are definitely interested in organic rankings of search results, you are advised to re-post the question in the SEO forum which you can find here:

***   Webmaster Central Help Forum   ***

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

As mentioned above natural rankings are off topic in this community and we are not experts in it. I only would like to comment on one of your statements:

" ... its impossible that this can occur ... "

At rare occasions Google needs to perform experiments to test how specific websites and their users would behave at a much better natural position; else ranking could easily get kind of frozen and lose flexibility and elasticity. Often times it happens when a website is substantially updated. Of course not once out of 3 times, perhaps once out of 1,000 times. The increased frequency you mentioned could be due to some temporary glitch.  -  Well, my 2 cents.

Best,

Lakatos

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Lakatos,

My discussion above is regards to paid adverts - PPC