AdWords
1.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Our automobile client has another campaign running at the same time.

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

We just came across the fact that we have ads running that are not ours on the same site. We asked around at the dealership for the last week and nobody seems to know who or where this campaign is coming from!? Does anyone know a way that I could find out who is managing this campaign to stop it? What type of damage will this do to my existing campaign performance? I can imagine but not certain of the repercussions. Thanks in advance for any info, cheers!

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Our automobile client has another campaign running at the same time.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Trevor_Stewart only Google can find out who might be running the Campaign(s), and even then, I'm not sure either that they'd release the information to you, or that any information they release would be of use (they're not going to tell you banking details, and I think it's unlikely they'll tell you an email address, so what's left?).  They may be able to contact the other person, but then how will they know you're the "authorised" marketer and not the other Account?  Anyway, supprt, your rep or your CM (Yvonne?) should be a good first call.

Damage?  Possibly quite a lot.  Firstly, Google will only display one Ad for one URL per SERP so only one of your Ads can be shown at any time which means potentially you're losing impression share and no one knows how much.  Secondly, and possibly worse, this is of course technically double-serving (if the Account billing connects back to the same company) so there's the risk of suspension.

In my experience, these things are usually a "forgotten" Account set up and lost.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Are you sure that your client is not hiding that they have another AdWords account running across? 

This could be a serious issue as far as my understanding goes.

First thing would be to report this issue to AdWords ASAP. You could probably report this here as well:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

Next step could be to talk to your dedicated Google Account Manager if that is applicable and explain them the whole situation.

I hope this might help somewhere!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Trevor_Stewart

This occasionally happens  to me with clients I get.  Since  It's unlikely that  another business is "sponsoring" a competitor's campaign, then  if you "pressure a bit" accounting at the client's business, they will find the account manager or who is the division / department within the company paying Google's invoices (or the ivoices for Google). 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I don't think it can be a case of double serving, as it's the same website both accounts are trying to promote, and as you say, @Jon_Gritton, the system will only serve one ad per SERP. Had there been two websites for the same company, well, that might have spelled trouble.

But there will be a competition between the two accounts and this may raise your CPCs unnecessarily.

However, if you're sure it's not your client's account, Trevor, you can get it suspended if you want Smiley Happy. Tag all YOUR AdWords destination URLs with a special parameter, such as "auth=1".

Then have your client's developers/admins redirect any traffic that contains a gclid parameter and does not have the auth=1 bit in the URL and redirect it to example.com. The system will pick up the redirect pretty quickly and first suspend the ads and then, when it happens repeatedly, it will suspend the account Smiley Happy. And then wait for the phone to ring Smiley Happy.

(Just kidding, if you think that this might damage your client's reputation, stay away from it. There might be legitimate customers trying to access the website and clicking the mystery ads and not being able to reach the website might hurt your customer's sales by more than the premium you're now paying to beat the mystery competition).
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You're right of course @AdWiser it can't be double-serving because it's the same URL, and I know that gosh darn it.  I blame it on a sunny Friday afternoon.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You guys are funny! Thanks for ALL coming to give me a hand. The thing is that we are now changing the dealers main domain name then pointing the old domain which currently has both campaigns.

@Jon_Gritton - It's funny Jon how many times that we have seen dealers running simultaneously running campaign on the same VDP, same URL. We have our reps checking things out yet I just acquired 50+ years knowledge with the crew in this thread!
@MosheTLV - No competitor will be behind that except it may just be the OEM running a small campaign!? We have exasperated our resources on the clients side as well as ours.

@pankaj1782 - For sure that the client is not into this, he has been looking around yet as Moshe mentions it is the accounting department that needs a bit of pressure.

@AdWiser - This would have solved the problem if we remained on the same domain yet now that they are on separate domains it would be playing with fire

Thanks everyone, I think that with the circumstance I see clearer, correct if I am wrong, once we change the domain and point the campaigns to the new ''domain'' then re point the old URL (for SEO purposes) the old campaigns will get dropped no matter where they were coming from, Correct?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hey, Trevor.

If I were migrating the domains I'd do the following:
- pause all current AdWords campaigns pointing to the old domain
- perform the migration (launch the new website, redirect the old domain to the new one (301 redirect))
- create new ads (copy of the old) pointing to the new domain (not before the new domain is up and running, as they tend to be reviewed even when they're paused)
- restart the campaigns with the new URLs in place

At this point, it is highly likely that the mystery account will still have the old ads running, including the old display URL. That display URL domain will no longer match the new one so they'll be disabled and suspended anyway. However, if they want to keep running ads on your customer's domain, they'll be able to do that if they notice the warnings quickly enough, pause the ads and then do the same as you do, i.e. point them to the new domain, display URL and all.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@AdWiser two problems I can see with that (he said, desperate to redeem himself) is that once they notice the site has moved, there's nothing to stop them editing their own Ads to point to the new domain and @Trevor_Stewart is still none the wiser about who they are.

Perhaps more importantly, if their billing is linked to the business, and they don't rectify the Ads, is there any chance of suspension (I'd say yes), and if so, might that suspension extend to the "real" Account (I'd say yes again).

Jon

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Precisely, @Jon_Gritton. If they edit their ads as well, they can keep running them (that's what I tried to express in my clumsy phrase: "However, if they want to keep running ads on your customer's domain, they'll be able to do that if they notice the warnings quickly enough, pause the ads and then do the same as you do, i.e. point them to the new domain, display URL and all.").

Hmm. I sure hope it's not the client itself running another campaign. If this is the case, it's really silly. I was thinking it's some sort of an "affiliate" account, if there's such a possibility. If it's the dealer itself and they don't realize that ...