AdWords
5.6K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

'Null' Estimated First Position Bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community,

I cannot get my keyword to generate it's est. first position bid and sometimes the est. top page bid (which is currently showing at £7.43). See below screen snap shot from just todays statistics.

missing-data.png

I have been advised via adwords support that i need more impressions for these estimates to begin to show but i have over 3 months worth of incoming impressions (approx 243,000 imps) but they still do not show! Surely this cannot be correct?

Looking at past historical data these estimates did not require any min thresholds to be calculated, and even the adwords help centre has no mention of any min impressions

'To see first position bid estimates for your keywords, find the "Est. first pos. bid" column in the Keywords table'

Can anyone give me accurate details to whats changed within this reporting section of the adwords system?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you seeing first position bids on anything else in the campaign/ad group/account?

Re: 'Null' Estimated First Position Bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thomas,

No, all other keywords within my account are unable to calculate what the first position bids should be. Its been happening for quite some time now. (couple of months)

Sometimes even the top position bid estimate cannot be calculated, just leaving me with the 'first page bid estimate' remaining

To my knowledge and with no update on the google help pages regarding a minimum impression threshold (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6292677?hl=en-GB) these estimates should just simply be automatically calculated with no criteria.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

"Est First Position Bid" was just introduced about six months ago.  Sometimes it never populates with data, at least that's what I see in a lot of my campaigns.  But advertisers managed to get by without it for 15 yearsSmiley Happy

Likely Google has thresholds for click volume over time, or other metrics which must be met before they display that information. 

Perhaps use the bid simulator, or run some tests and it can be figured out. 

Re: 'Null' Estimated First Position Bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

First position bid estimate was introduced well over a year ago, prob 18 months ago plus.

Surely if google has recently introduced a threshold for this feature then it must be made public knowledge on the help centre pages rather than just advising adwords users to add the columns to see these values or alternatively support requesting more impressions are required when it isnt the solution.

Your last line stated 'use the bid simulator, or run some tests and it can be figured out' - This suggests you are privy to this information?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Clive G,

As I can see that the campaign status is paused.

Enable the campaign and let it collect some data.

Hope, you will be able to see the estimated bids.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’