AdWords
5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

No one else is advertising in my area - why are my ppc so high?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adwords Geniuses!

Question, no one else is advertising in my area for my key words. Why is my cost per click so high then? It seems that it would not cost a lot since I am not competing with anyone. Any light to shed? Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bethany N
September 2016

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Bethany N

Googling to see your ads isn't the best way to get a clear picture of what is going on. I would check the adpreview tool http://www.google.com/adpreview, and your auction insight reports.  This will show you information on competing advertisers if they exist. You can learn more about that here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

To expand on Tommy's comment, some other factors at play could be ad extensions.  If you're bidding for top of the page, Google is going to take into account they take up more space.  QS is a also important, and as he said, it's going to effect what you pay even if there aren't competitors.

Do you have it set to automatic bidding? If so, try manual CPC and making a bid that you are more comfortable with and see what happens. With such a small daily budget, you certainly have room to experiment.  Another thing to consider is that you might be stretching the budget too thin.  I understand you only have $300/month to spend, but you don't necessarily have to stretch it out over the course of the month.  For example, if there is $30/day worth of traffic, you'll most likely see better results if you spend $30/day for 10 days instead of $10/day for 30 days.

View solution in original post

Re: No one else is advertising in my area - why are my ppc so high?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Bethany N

Can you give more specific details? For example, what are you considering "so high?"  How are you determining that no one else in your area is advertising.  Can you confirm this via the auction insights report?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Bethany N

In addition to what @David K is suggesting, digging into, it's worth noting that there are no guarantees that less or no competition results in lower CPCs.  

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/156066?hl=en

"Just because there is low competition for a keyword doesn't mean that it will be inexpensive.

Remember that competition is only one of the variables that determines your actual CPC. The price you pay for a click is also determined by the quality of your ads. If your ads and landing page are low quality, you may find that your actual CPC is close to your maximum CPC, even though there is low competition for the search terms that triggered your ad. And in some cases, low-quality ads may hardly show at all (even if you keep raising your bid), because those ads don't exceed our quality thresholds. When your ads do show, keep in mind that you'll never be charged more than your maximum CPC for a click, no matter how low your ad quality."

Hope this helps clarify a bit. 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi DavidK, 

When I google some of my keywords - we are the only ones that show up. Living in a small mountain town - not many people advertise on google yet. That works for me though Smiley Happy My average cost per click is 3.44 with my max at $10/day. That is only giving me 3 clicks a day with only a 20 mile radius in a town that is so small, we don't have a Target. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tommy, Is there a review service to look at the quality of our ad? It just seems odd to have it be $3.44 per click in an area where we are the only ones advertising. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bethany N
September 2016

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Bethany N

Googling to see your ads isn't the best way to get a clear picture of what is going on. I would check the adpreview tool http://www.google.com/adpreview, and your auction insight reports.  This will show you information on competing advertisers if they exist. You can learn more about that here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

To expand on Tommy's comment, some other factors at play could be ad extensions.  If you're bidding for top of the page, Google is going to take into account they take up more space.  QS is a also important, and as he said, it's going to effect what you pay even if there aren't competitors.

Do you have it set to automatic bidding? If so, try manual CPC and making a bid that you are more comfortable with and see what happens. With such a small daily budget, you certainly have room to experiment.  Another thing to consider is that you might be stretching the budget too thin.  I understand you only have $300/month to spend, but you don't necessarily have to stretch it out over the course of the month.  For example, if there is $30/day worth of traffic, you'll most likely see better results if you spend $30/day for 10 days instead of $10/day for 30 days.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I will look into this, thank you so much!!