AdWords
2.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

No impressions in Google Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have problem with impressions. I use only Google Display Network and the same type of ads (only pics changing). So with the same settings different campaigns show ads differently. One can generate 1 000 000 imp per day, another just 30 000 - 50 000. The only difference is bid strategy - for new campaigns i use Manual CPC and when i have stats then i change it to target CPA. But firstly CPC is the same for campaigns with huge amount of impressions and others. 

Other settings:

Ad rotation  - Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimize

Frequency capping - Viewable impression cap per user per day for each ad: 10

What could be the problem?

Many thanks for answer!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: No impressions in Google Display Network

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Peter,

If it is not the publishers, it should be ad rank. It's a bit complex and not easy to understand. As @MosheTLV teaches us, "straight from the horse's mouth":

This is the link to his post.

And this is copy/paste, verbatim.

>>"With the "Rotate evenly" and "Rotate indefinitely" options, the percentage of impressions for ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, because the quality of the ads differ, and quality is used to determine where an ad shows, or if it even shows at all, the percentage of impressions for each ad may not be perfectly even. An ad with high quality may appear on the first page of search results, while an ad with low quality may show on the second page of search results, which reaches a smaller number of users.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6034106

In your particular case, the ads housed in your different campaigns might have different history and hence different ad quality that leads to the discrepancy in how often they are served by Google, i.e. in their count of impressions accrued. That is the case even if you applied the setting "rotate evenly".

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Peter,

In your second sentence above you use the expression: "with the same settings". My understanding is that it means that the targeting settings of your campaigns are identical. (If they are not they might also lead to the discrepancy.)

In case they are identical, and each campaign houses the same type of ads, only the pics being different, my guess is that image sizes are probably not identical in the campaigns. In such a case the difference in impressions may be rooted in the difference of settings applied by publishers. They are the owners of the placements where your image ads are shown by Google. In fact they are allowed to control by means of their settings what sizes of image ads they allow to display on their webpages.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Lakatos,

Yes, i wrote about targeting at first.

Image sizes are the same too - i use only two the most popular format.

And you know, pictures are very similar, i'm sure that this problem not because of them.

Thank you for reply.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Peter,

If it is not the publishers, it should be ad rank. It's a bit complex and not easy to understand. As @MosheTLV teaches us, "straight from the horse's mouth":

This is the link to his post.

And this is copy/paste, verbatim.

>>"With the "Rotate evenly" and "Rotate indefinitely" options, the percentage of impressions for ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, because the quality of the ads differ, and quality is used to determine where an ad shows, or if it even shows at all, the percentage of impressions for each ad may not be perfectly even. An ad with high quality may appear on the first page of search results, while an ad with low quality may show on the second page of search results, which reaches a smaller number of users.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6034106

In your particular case, the ads housed in your different campaigns might have different history and hence different ad quality that leads to the discrepancy in how often they are served by Google, i.e. in their count of impressions accrued. That is the case even if you applied the setting "rotate evenly".

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's clear about rotation.

But i'm not sure that i understand about ad rank - that's actually ad position. I use only Google Display Network and all of my ads have 1 average position. What metrics can show me the ad rank except Avg.Pos?

Moreover, campaigns show different results from the begining, so they don's have any history and stats.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Negative, Peter. Ad Rank is not derived from ad position. (It works a bit the other way around, your ad position may depend on your Ad Rank.)

Actually this is the general formula: "Ad Rank = QS*Bid" where QS stands for Quality Score and the Bid is your max CPC.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But QS is only for Search, isn't it? I can't find this metric in settings..
I don't use Search, only GDN.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
There is a hidden Quality Score on GDN for internal use, however, it is not displayed to advertisers. The calculation is a bit different and it also varies a bit with your bidding options.

For more insight into this particular issue, please refer to the thread linked to below.

Improving Quality Score On GDN
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Improving-Quality-Score-On-GDN/td...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Without having access to account I will suggest you to check
1.Ads are eligible and approved?
2. Is there any billing issue in the account?
3. Is it possible to target some specific audience that may narrow users that may be exposed to the ads..
4. Same as 3 but using remarketing list with less than 100 cookies or some combination of targeting criteria.
5. Campaign start date or some custum day schedule or location or devices bid adjustment.
6. Finally go to display tab and if there is some critical issue it should be listed.

Hope that may helps.

Cheers