2.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me

New option for Google's 2 factor authentication

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello everyone. Hope all is well and may your revenue overflow like the bounty from a pirate’s treasure chest. And to our American friends, Happy Independence Day!

For the advent followers of my posts in this forum, you’ll know that I consider 2 factor authentication to be one of the most secure ways to access and protect your Google accounts - see post: The ‘key’ to Two-Factor Authentication.

At Google, we are always working on the best and most convenient ways to ensure the safety of your accounts. To that end, we have added a simpler option to our 2 factor authentication process. Instead of typing in a code, now all you’ll have to do is unlock your phone and confirm your identity with a single tap.

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 2.19.38 PM.png

To enable this option, go to the My Account section, then proceed thus: Sign-in & Security > Signing in to Google > 2-Step Verification. Once there, choose ‘Google prompt’ as the default option and then select a device you want to use for verification.

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 2.25.23 PM.png

We are still rolling this out to users; Android users can enable this option if they have the most up to date Google Play Services app. iOS users will have to install the Google Search app before they can use the feature.

Stay tuned for more updates from us on how we are keeping you and your accounts secure.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New option for Google's 2 factor authentication

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
We need more of you around here!
You won't remember me from the summit last year but your positivity and passion for security is incredibly infectious!

This is a MASSIVELY welcome addition. With all due respect, Microsoft pretty much nailed it with a similar feature using push notifications but Google, in typical google fashion, went one further and made it so simple my Grandmother (literally) uses this now. The USB key was/is great but it's quite restricted in where it can be used. Considering mobile is so pervasive now and I'm coming close to doing about 40% of my work on my mobile device, this is great to see.

Thanks so much for what must have been an incredible effort getting this across the line. It really has made lives easier and people's data more secure.

You rock! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Re: New option for Google's 2 factor authentication

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Of course I remember you from the summit. I still owe you lunch if memory serves ;-)

Thank you so much for your kind comments and feedback. Really appreciate it.