AdWords
2.1K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

New notifications, more email security

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello everyone. Hope all is well and the revenues are coming down through AdWords like a beautiful monsoon rain.

During Safer Internet Week, I talked a little bit about some of the great things that Google is doing to keep emails safe and encrypted. And since emails are connected to AdWords accounts, it’s in your best interest to make sure they are secure.

So firstly, a bit of good news: Since we announced encryption and HTTPS notification, the amount of inbound mail sent over an encrypted connection increased by 25%! This is very encouraging news in the area of email security and protecting emails associated with your accounts.

This is great progress but we are not resting on our laurels. We are constantly on the lookout for malicious activity on our systems, in particular attempts by third parties to log into users’ accounts unauthorised. I’ve talked about the dangers of hijackers and the importance of two factor authentication; and so we also protect users who we believe may be the target of state-sponsored attacks. And just last week, we introduced a new, full-page warning with instructions about how users users can stay safe.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 3.53.17 PM.png

This is part and parcel of our dedication to better security. We’ll continue to build new protections and work closely with the broader email ecosystem to ensure that our users are safe.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

Re: New notifications, more email security

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
The "Government-backed attackers" part certainly piqued my interest. Here is an article that reportedly quotes Google about that specific part of it: http://www.techworm.net/2016/03/one-million-gmail-accounts-government-hackers-google.html

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
The "Government-backed attackers" part certainly piqued my interest. Here is an article that reportedly quotes Google about that specific part of it: http://www.techworm.net/2016/03/one-million-gmail-accounts-government-hackers-google.html

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Thanks for sharing the article, David. It is worth noting that receiving this warning does not 100% mean that your account has been hijacked. It just means that we believe you may be a target, of phishing or malware for example, and that you should take immediate steps to secure your account - which users should be doing regardless. Better safe than sorry and all that ;-)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ohhh... Government backed attacks -  this could be an episode for  season  2  of Mr. Robot Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Indeed. I was giddy as a school girl when they mentioned 2 factor authentication in the 1st season :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there are these issues fixed