AdWords
5.9K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Keywords Still Trigger My Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client who runs a women's clinic in Arizona — there are two locations. He does not offer abortions, and I have added the word abortion to my negative keywords list as a broad match, phrase match and exact match. I have done the same with the phrase: abortion clinic.

I also am regularly adding abortion related search terms to my negative keywords list.

Despite this, my ads keep showing to people searching for abortions in Arizona. I know this because abortion related search terms, using the word "abortion," continue to show up under the "search terms" tab in my client's account.

I'm adding new abortion search terms to my negative keyword list on a weekly, and almost daily, basis.

To be clear: the word "abortion" never appears in any of my ads, but the words "women's clinic" does.

How can I 100% assure any search using the word "abortion" does not trigger any of my ads?

Thank you.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Andrew F! thanks for posting to the community.

The main difference is that you'll need to add synonyms, singular or plural versions, misspellings and other close variations if you want to exclude them. also check that which search term trigger your ad and then add that term as negative keyword.

read more about negative keyword

Note: negative keywords as broad match, phrase match and exact match are not same as like normal keyword broad match, phrase match and exact match.

Hope this will help you!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Andrew F

Kindly use below Keywords as Negative at Campaign Level:

abortion

abottions

miscarriage

feticide

Also add synonyms, singular or plural versions as mentioned by @Mian A