AdWords
4.2K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

My client's account was hacked and someone ran a campaign that we had paused

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,
I was told to post this in the forum by adwords support.
My client's account was hacked, and someone ran a campaign that we had paused, and it wound up costing my client over 3k USD.
There was suspicious activity on the account that I saw when logging in once, with someone trying to get into the account from Istanbul, where neither they nor we have a presence. I have screenshots of that as well.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Adwords support, and in the end they said that I had to post on a forum in order to get this escalated.
We need to get their money back. Please advise.
Thanks,
Josh

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Joshua,  sorry to hear of the problems you are having. 

Unfortunately, you received some bad advice.  This is a mostly peer-to-peer volunteer support community with fellow advertisers helping each other out, with technical issues in AdWords.  We do not have access to accounts or the ability to handle Google related financial issues. 

I have never once heard of a situation where AdWords support told someone to come to this forum to escalate handling of a financial business issue; or even to address a financial business issue in any way.  It is highly likely that there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding. 

This is a business matter between the account holder and Google.  There is a contract involved etc. but no one in the forum can address issues related to that. 

Sorry to not have a more helpful issue but those are the facts. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for getting back on this Steve. Looks like I need to get back on the horn with google and have them clarify. Do you by chance know if any of the forums are moderated by actual google employees?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If they want to talk about it still, then that would definitely be the thing to do.  

Just commenting from my own perspective, i don't see how Google could absolve an account holder of charges because fraudulent account access is claimed.  It is very difficult to do that, and even more difficult to prove.  So you may have an uphill battle on your hands.  And keep in mind, every single day of the year there are literally many thousands of people attempting to game or defraud Google financially and/or wiggle out of contract terms.  So I would not get my hopes up in that sort of situation.  

I was hit with identity theft myself a few years back so i have some perspective on that sort of thing; however that is strictly my own personal perspective on that, and in no way relates to what Google could, should, or might do - that is their business. 

It is beyond my pay grade to speculate on who is involved in moderation of this forum. I'm just an advertiser who enjoys contributing and learning here.