AdWords
1.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

My IP address is off by 100 miles? Bad results on the SERP.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am located in Gadsden, Alabama but my search shows results for Tuscalussa, AL which is 100 miles. If I was advertising to my local market in Gadsden, how would I ensure only people within a 20 mile radius around me see my ad?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... Either your ISP can fix that or I would switch to another ISP

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Beau,

Google relies on 3rd party IP address data for serving ads. That data isn't always accurate, and fixing it is beyond the control of Google. 

When you set locations, like 20 miles around Gadsden, Google will serve the ads the best they can to that area. All you can expect is that they'll mostly be served correctly, and that is still a pretty good result.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If that was not the USA, as a location, I would agree with Rob. However,  In the USA, location targeting is pretty accurate and IP addresses are fully mapped  to correlate an IP with a specific  location, with an accuracy of miles.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’