6.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple domains in one or separate accounts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody. Before starting to work with 2 potential customers I would really appreciate if someone can help me answering couple of questions.

Client#1 has 2 domains that promotes same industry. Can I advertise 2 domains from one account or should I create separate accounts for each domain? Keep in mind I would be targeting same keywords. Is this allowed by Google?

Situation for client #2. They have 10+ subdomains for each country. examples:

fr.domainname.com

de.domainname.com

es.domainname.com.

All subdomains are promoting one product to different countries. How should I approach advertising in this case? My idea is to create one account and target domains/locations in different campaigns. Is this good approach?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

You can advertise two domains from one account. There are a couple things to consider but it shouldn't be an issue for you: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Can-I-advertise-multiple-domain...

I agree with your strategy for the second question. Because location settings are made at the campaign level you would need to separate by campaigns. Just remember to set language targeting appropriately as some of those European countries have multiple common languages.

Hope that helps, sounds like you are on the right track!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jim. Thanks for fast reply.

Thing is, client wants to targed both domains with same keywords. They are offering same type of service on both domains. They want me to promote one domain with search ads and another with call ads, obviously by using same keywords.

Could I be suspended for some reason and would I compete with myself in bidding?

How should I approach to this? It's one owner, 2 domains, promoting same type of service.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Đépot ?

Inséré le Canda dans la lague que je comprend

et maîtrise totalement

mes activités .le français

CANADA francais .

P/S

S.V.P. inclure officiel

Google .ca

Forestville  P,QUEBEC,

CANADA

Conseil d'administration

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February

[ Edited ]
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 5
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi @Mirko R

I am sure you know about this policy:

"Unfair advantage

The following is not allowed:

Using the Google Network to gain an unfair traffic advantage over other participants in the auctionExamples: Affiliates that advertise on AdWords against the applicable affiliate program rules, promoting the same or similar content from multiple accounts on the same or similar queries, trying to show more than one ad at a time for your business, app, or site

Note: Keywords should fit the target audience’s likely intent when searching, and each website or app that you promote should offer distinct value to users."

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

Having 2 accounts containing the same keywords, the business gains an unfair traffic advantage. Because ads from both accounts will be eligible for auction. If a content on client's websites is the same, and Google will find out that the business owns both of them, accounts will be suspended.

However,  if you have multiple domains under one account, then only one of them will be eligible for auction. Google will decide which domain to show, and this decision will be based on relevancy and quality score, landing page, etc. 

Regards,
Eva

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Eva is right - you have to run the campaigns in the same account to avoid the "gaining an unfair advantage" rule... but - if you want to run call only ads for one then presumably you want these ads to be seen by mobile devices... if this is the case then you can adjust the device bidding on the campaigns so that one campaign only targets mobiles and the other only targets desktops and tablets - would this solve your problem?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys. I was searching more info about this and I found couple of articles that shows few examples of advertisers who are breaking this rule.

@stickleback so best way of setting this up would be creating one account with 2 campaigns for each domain. One campaign will target all devices with regular search ads and another would target call only ads just to mobile devices?

I think I have read somewhere that it's not advisable to target multiple domains in one adgroup. Is this correct?

@Eva you said: if you have multiple domains under one account, then only one of them will be eligible for auction.

Does this mean I'm actually bidding against myself? As a result I could potentialy end up paying higher CPC because I would target same keywords for different domains?

1 account, 2 campaigns (one for each domain), targeting same keywords. This would be allowed?

2 accounts, one for each domain, targeting same keywords, using same billing info on both accounts. This would not be allowed?

Highlighted

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Client #1:

"One campaign will target all devices with regular search ads and another would target call only ads just to mobile devices?"

You can do that if you want to, but do NOT expect equal results. Two different types of ads, messages, and user intentions. The client doesn't seem to really understand what they are looking for, so educating them is going to have to be a priority.

"I think I have read somewhere that it's not advisable to target multiple domains in one adgroup. Is this correct?"

One domain per adgroup. You can have multiple domains within the same campaign, or account, but only one domain per adgroup.

"Does this mean I'm actually bidding against myself? As a result I could potentialy end up paying higher CPC because I would target same keywords for different domains?"

No. One account, one auction for one search query instance. Again, just because you can structure an account a certain way, or have multiple domains for the same company technically, does not mean it's going to work the way you want it to, or is the most effective approach to take. If one of the websites/domains has higher "quality and relevance" factors than the other - All other things being equal - Then the ads > keyword > adgroup that has the higher adrank will earn the impression.

What is the actual goal you/your client actually trying to accomplish? I guarantee you this approach is going to do more harm than good in the long run. If for no other reason that you are dividing your resources and gains of either/both site(s).

Client #2:

"My idea is to create one account and target domains/locations in different campaigns. Is this good approach?"

Yes! Even though this is the same product, each country/culture/language is going to be different. Which means the search terms used, and the ad content that's most effective will be different country to country. Everything including networks and devices may vary depending on country, and you definitely need all the campaign level options to optimize for those differences.

You may not need a sub-domain for each country, only a sub-domain for each language. However, if shipping, contact information, customer service reps, schedules, etc., vary by country, then a sub-domain for each may make more sense. Just remember that all this applies to your SEO and website content as well. Once you start to get some of that market research data coming in through AdWords, make sure you apply that knowledge to your websites to further improve the return.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@tomhalejr thank you for taking time to explain this to me Smiley Happy

Experts in the Topic
stickleback
Eva
JimVaillancourt