AdWords
4.9K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple ad groups in one display campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have noticed that when I put more than one ad group under the same display campaign, one will always perform much better than the others. This happens even if I raise the bids for the poor-performing ad groups or changes the targeting. This has happened in multiple campaigns I'm running for clients. Has anyone else experienced this, and know the reason? Could it be because of ad rank or quality score?

Thanks,

Josephine 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Multiple ad groups in one display campaign

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Josephine H what bid strategy are you using for the Campaign?  Is it manual CPC?

If all the Groups have the same bids and targets, the only difference being the Ads and the products linked, then they're all competing in the same auctions and the "winner" will be decided as the Ad with the best Ad Rank.  If you're using Manual CPC this could simply be a case that some Ads/products are getting a better Quality Score, possibly because of higher CTR, or possibly because of better Landing page interaction or, if they're text Ads, better Ad relevance.  If you're using a bid strategy such as optimising for clicks or for conversions, then this can exacerbate the situation since as soon as one Group starts to perform better, AdWords will continue to "push" that Group - because you've asked for more clicks (or whatever).

While your targeting and bids are the same, you're always going to have problems balancing which Ads are shown and when unless you manually force a rotating choice and to be honest, it's not typically a useful approach for the Display network.  It would be more normal to use generic brand or product range Ads across all targets, then select targets specifically for individual products or sets of products that work better on certain targets (placements, topics, demographics, etc.).  If you do want a range of Ads to compete with each other (and that doesn't sound like a good idea) then you'd need to use Manual CPC for separate Campaigns, but even then you could still find an uneven split depending upon how much traffic is available and your budgets.

Are you looking for direct sales or branding?  If direct sales, you may find better results with Search, using the GDN only for branding purposes and Remarketing (ideally dynamic remarketing) of specific products or ranges.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Josephine, using which KPI do you evaluate your ad group performance?
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Josephine H,

This is likely because one AdGroup is "hungrier" than the others. Since they are all in the same campaign they are using the same budget. If you want to get a better indication of performance then put each AdGroup in its own campaign and assign a individual budget to it. This will give it a chance to run without another AdGroup cannibalizing the budget.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Adding few points to Bryans comment - add Display Lost IS (budget) and Display Lost IS (rank) columns first to see if you were losing impressions due to budget restriction or due to low rank.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In all cases I've seen one ad group gets significantly more impressions and therefore also more clicks than the others.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, I'll give this a try. Still, I'm curious of why this happens. In one campaign, where all three AdGroups has the exact same bid and targeting, the best performing AdGroup has 50 clicks and 223,547 impressions while the poorest performing one has 0 clicks and 2,061 impressions. The products and ads are different, but that doesn't explain the huge difference in impressions.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
I think it's still because of targeting, here pareto rule works giving most of your traffic to 1 ad.group. This happends very often in many accounts. I would suggest to check placement report to see on which websites your ads appear and if specific website would be more relevant to landing page from other ad.group you can exclude that website from 1 ad.group and add it as a placement to other.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Josephine H what bid strategy are you using for the Campaign?  Is it manual CPC?

If all the Groups have the same bids and targets, the only difference being the Ads and the products linked, then they're all competing in the same auctions and the "winner" will be decided as the Ad with the best Ad Rank.  If you're using Manual CPC this could simply be a case that some Ads/products are getting a better Quality Score, possibly because of higher CTR, or possibly because of better Landing page interaction or, if they're text Ads, better Ad relevance.  If you're using a bid strategy such as optimising for clicks or for conversions, then this can exacerbate the situation since as soon as one Group starts to perform better, AdWords will continue to "push" that Group - because you've asked for more clicks (or whatever).

While your targeting and bids are the same, you're always going to have problems balancing which Ads are shown and when unless you manually force a rotating choice and to be honest, it's not typically a useful approach for the Display network.  It would be more normal to use generic brand or product range Ads across all targets, then select targets specifically for individual products or sets of products that work better on certain targets (placements, topics, demographics, etc.).  If you do want a range of Ads to compete with each other (and that doesn't sound like a good idea) then you'd need to use Manual CPC for separate Campaigns, but even then you could still find an uneven split depending upon how much traffic is available and your budgets.

Are you looking for direct sales or branding?  If direct sales, you may find better results with Search, using the GDN only for branding purposes and Remarketing (ideally dynamic remarketing) of specific products or ranges.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits