AdWords
4.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Accounts for Different Domains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have multiple domain names, all owned by the same company and would like to utilize multiple adwords accounts to manage their ads, as some of the keywords for the different domains would overlap. Is this something that is ok to do? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Accounts for Different Domains

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Deandrea L,

Negative, it isn't. Chances are it would be regarded as abusing the ad network, or aiming to gain an unfair advantage. Please refer to the policy linked-to below.

***   Abusing the ad network - Unfair advantage   ***

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en-GB

I, for one, would definitely consider refraining from taking that job.

Best,

Lakatos

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
If you are providing the same products/services through all these domains, for the same company, then that is the textbook definition of double serving. One, or likely all of these accounts may (most likely) be suspended.

Which domain is the actual website of the company? Use that as your one and only website, then just re-direct these other domains to the main/actual website for the business. There's nothing wrong with acquiring potential variations, or competing domains to protect your business. However, you are not doing yourself any favors in the long run by actually using those domains.
Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ahh yes, to clarify, It is not the same product, however they share
some similar keywords as the products are targeted to the same audience. .

Does this make sense?

--

*DeAndrea Laub* | Director of Operations

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please do not post personal information on the Community for your own safety.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Deandrea L,

Great, that might be a reasonable excuse, of course. If I were you, I'd try to avoid the usage of cross-account overlapping keywords so that there is no shadow at all on what I am doing. Please try to find some segmentation technique like inserting product name in the keywords so that 2 ads of yours could not be displayed on the same SERP. Else it might prove an attempted violation anyway. (It is sometimes not easy to decide whether 2 products are the same, or just close variants, or slightly different. Hence Google first of all looks at ownership and related accounts in order to maintain a broad diversity of offers shown on SERPs.)

Also, being a regular forum member, you are requested to remove your contact details from above.

Best,

Lakatos

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Lakatos is right on!

As a real world example, we have a client who owns a "flooring" store, and a carpet store. We make sure that there are no "flooring" KW's for the carpet store account, and no carpet KW's for the flooring store account. Both websites can link to each other on the back end, but there is a clear distinction between products and services in regards to the advertising.

Where it can get a bit tricky is if a manufacturer makes both carpet and other types of flooring. In that case (as Lakatos stated), if you wanted to use that manufacturers brand as KW's, then make sure you use something like 'Brand carpet' for the carpet store account, and 'Brand flooring' for the other account. Match types would also be a concern here. The broader the term the more likely you will have overlap. Perhaps use exact match only, and make sure to add targeted KW's of one account as negatives to the other(s).

At the end of the day, your goal is to show the most relevant ad to the end user. If you have five sites/businesses/product lines, the same KW's/targeting methods are going to have different results for each product/business. You may not even want or need five different accounts to accomplish your goal. Unless billing is an issue, you may be able to accomplish your objective by using multiple campaigns within the same account. If you did have any overlap, only one ad in the account would show for any single query. Thus, eliminating any concern of double-serving violations.

Maybe if we had some more details we could help brainstorm a strategy that will work for you, without having any policy violation concerns?
Tom

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hello Deandrea,

You have some great advice from Lakatos & Tom here.

I just wanted to give my 2 cents on the matter. I had a similar client that had multiple domains and we had setup multiple accounts for each one of them. At a time, we would be advertising for up to 4 domains on Search and since all of the domains belonged to the same vertical (real estate), our bids were inflated by close to 60%.

I would very much take up the suggestion to try and avoid usage of keywords belonging to other domains business or vertical. If you too are facing the same dilemma as me and have to serve ads from all accounts for the same vertical, you may want to take a look at your budgets and take into consideration that your CPC's will be inflated.

You could also try and give priority to a domain for the themes you want to target. For example - you have 10 themes and you decide that theme 1&3 are priority for you and are most relevant to your domain 1 (out of say 4 domains), so you use keywords for the theme 1 & 3 in just domain 1 AdWords account. Do the same exercise for all the other themes and their relevant domains and avoid overlap of keywords themes completely. This may help you save wastage as your CPC's are not going to be inflated.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
And as another angle on the same point....

I've had multiple competitors completely nuked from AdWords (as in not even one account left to use - ever) for using multiple accounts against us.

Don't assume your competitors don't care (as ours did). Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks all for the tips !