AdWords
2.2K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

MCC account has about 15% declined credit cards.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our MCC account is not suspended, I would like to ask the community a question in the effort to help prevent any issues at a later time.

1.  About 15% of accounts on our MCC have declined credit cards on a monthly basis.

2.  One of our clients did a charge back which we were just notified about.

3.  All of the accounts in our MCC are accounts that we create through our MCC account for our clients and enter our clients credit cards so that they are directly billed instead of us billing the client and then Google billing us.

The question that I have is:  

Could our MCC account in general be suspended by these credit cards being declined?  Or if clients like the one we recently had do a charge back?

We work with real estate agents and they in general max out their cards and have about a 15% to 20% decline ratio even on services we bill them for.  While charge backs are rear less than 1% of the time they are inevitable and will occur.  Does Google have a policy of some sort that states how they will deal with these issues?

I am worried that something could happen to our MCC account which could cause our other clients to have issues.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Merima T
December 2015

Re: MCC account has about 15% declined credit cards.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Declining payments due to insufficient funds is not a reason for suspension (as long as the card has no fraudulent activities). However, your campaign will be stopped. Hence,   it is recommended to add a backup card on the account.

Indeed, it is the recommended practice to  use the client's  CC and not the agency's. Should there be a policy issue  with the client's account, your  own account will  not be linked (as would happen if you were to use your CC on the client's account). 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
The charge backs are the big problem here, Google has every right to suspend an account for charge backs (rightly so - as it is blantant theft in my opinion) .

The more violations you make the more you are at risk of being suspended. I personally think it is important to have a good relationship with your client and ask them for a dedicated card for your Adwords accounts, and discuss with them (make them understand) that violation of credit card policies (declined transactions) can lead to a whole world of problems in their account and make them understand that their account can and will get suspended if they continue to break policy.

As for your MCC account, I do not think it will be suspended but why take the chance. As a manager, as soon as my client has a declined transaction I tell them that they need a Dedicated (non-limited) card. If it happens a second time I switch to prepaid billing and use my own company card.

As for charge backs I make it clear in my policy agreement with my client that we will immediately terminate their account management and remove them from our MCC. As a company you cannot take this risk, you need to look after the interests of ALL your clients and NEVER allow them to break policy.

Read more about Adwords billing policy here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375414?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Merima T
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Declining payments due to insufficient funds is not a reason for suspension (as long as the card has no fraudulent activities). However, your campaign will be stopped. Hence,   it is recommended to add a backup card on the account.

Indeed, it is the recommended practice to  use the client's  CC and not the agency's. Should there be a policy issue  with the client's account, your  own account will  not be linked (as would happen if you were to use your CC on the client's account). 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for clarifying this Moshe, I primarily prefer to use my clients credit card however it is not a violation of policy to use your own card. I guess it all depends where you want to leave the control. Yes. A backup credit card is essential, I guess I should have mentioned we do suggest that first. And you are absolutely correct, you should only really use your own CC as a last resort. 

I typically use manual (prepaid) billing for all my clients so will likely never have a billing issue (my preferred method for peace of mind)

Any comment in the charge backs Moshe?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Bryan Casson;

Well... There could be many reasons for  a CC company   issuing a charge back. If the reason is a disputed transaction, or product not shipped, and this becomes "common", then, indeed,  it could raise an issue also with Google . (At some point user will start to complain to Google).