AdWords
2.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

MCC Admin "The user being impersonated lacks permission to do this" error - cannot change users

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I couldn't find this problem elsewhere, so I have to create a new post hoping someone has a solution.

I am the primary manager and have had Admin Access to our 14 or so Adwords accounts set up in MCC.  Just today I encountered a problem I've never seen before. When I attempted to remove a user or revoke an invitation to any of the users set up under any of the client accounts, I get an 'The user being impersonated lacks permission to do this' error.  Even for invitations that I sent, I cannot revoke (which to my knowledge shouldn't matter since Administrative Access is Administrative Access).

I have no idea where this 'impersonation' setting comes from. The only article I could find that even addresses this is specific to Doubleclick, and their instructions for how to manage or change it require some sort of "Admin tab" that I can't find in MCC or Adwords.   I've ensured that I'm signed out of all my Google accounts, but still get the error. Any ideas what's going on?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: MCC Admin "The user being impersonated lacks permission to do this" error - cannot cha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jerry!

That seems like a frustrating issue, and I have never heard of anything similar. Can you confirm some specifics?

1. Were the client(or child) accounts under the MCC created by that MCC account originally, or were they linked accounts created separately and then brought under the MCC umbrella by linking the account to MCC?

2. Do you work with Doubleclick, and if so have you tried clearing all your cache and cookies and then repat trying to remove or revoke users?

3. Have you called customer support (1-866-246-6453) to report this and to see if they could reproduce this issue?

Re: MCC Admin "The user being impersonated lacks permission to do this" error - cannot cha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your response!  Yeah, this is strange…it had been working fine until just yesterday.  Here’s my answers.

1. There are 18 accounts, the majority of them were created in the MCC account, but a few were created with another email in the agency before we set up our MCC account.  Note that we just changed the domain for our agency about three months ago, so we’re in the process of migrating all our accounts to our new email domains from the old ones.

2. No to Doubleclick, Yes cleared cache, cookies and history, and still no change.

3. Not yet! That would be the next step!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Does the email use to access the accounts /MCC are under Google Apps for Work?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes. It’s a Google Apps for Work email domain/account.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Jerry,

After seeing your reply to MosheTLV about the email being from Google Apps for Work, I did a quick search and found this article which may be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/authentication#setting_up_service_account_acce...

I hope this can help you!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Jerry;
It sounds that your Apps for Work Admin revoked the access to the AdWords service (linked to GAW)  for some / all emails under the company domain.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’