6.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me

Let me in. Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin*

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello everyone and welcome to another post on account security.

I recently arrived back from holidays in Portugal and while in the airport, it was interesting to see how quickly the EU citizens queue was moving compared to the non-EU queue - simply because of less inspection time with EU passports. And as I practically moonwalked through customs with a British passport, it got me thinking (believe it or not) about account access.

By today’s business standards, all organisations need to be collaborative and mobile. This extends to access to information. At any given time, even SMBs have different partners, suppliers, employees or even customers accessing accounts or at a larger scale, applications within the business. According to research from Quocirca**, ~58% of businesses in the Europe have opened up applications to customer organisations. Equally, within an organisation, fostering a shared ecosystem is seen as productive because employees are able to work together faster, more efficiently, and with greater personal responsibility.

But while we are so used to thinking and protecting ourselves from the dangers outside of an organisation or a trusted network, it’s important to note that you are only as strong as your weakest link. Businesses need to determine the different requirements of each individual or entity that can access information and ensure that their access privileges reflect the requirement i.e. they should only have access to data which they require in order to perform their duties. These ‘access privileges’ should also be reviewed regularly to take into account people leaving the organisation or simply being moved into a new role.

It’s possible to share your Google AdWords account with other people in your business, allowing them to manage campaigns, set budgets or review reports. However it is important to note the levels of access that you can provide and the corresponding features available for each access. You can find the features in our help centre article here. Equally, if you want to see the current user security settings and revoke access to an account, please visit our help page.

Thanks for reading and be sure to get in touch with any questions/comments. Oh and be sure to visit Lisbon - it’s lovely!

* Title is a reference to the fairy tale - 3 little pigs.

** Digital identities and the open business:

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Let me in. Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin*

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You made a great point @Elijah L. It is definitely important to understand and manage different access levels for different users based on their requirements. But, there's one question that I have faced several times  -

Isn't there any access level with AdWords that allows edit access to everything but hides the billing tab completely? There should be one, and I second that almost every time.

Ratan Jha

Re: Let me in. Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin*

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Hi there. Thanks for reading and getting in touch. 'Managed - read only' should give access to access campaigns and receive notifications about them without giving access to billing information. In any case, if you are concerned about the visibility of your financial information, the billing profile won't display your entire financial details. For instance , credit card details are masked. Hope this helps