AdWords
2.2K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Issue with conversion value tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have recently discovered that my AdWords account is reporting incorrect data in regards to counting conversions. The account is recording abnormally high amounts of conversions that quite frankly are just not happening. This is in turn throwing off my conversion values, cost/converted click, and other key factors that help me to determine a profitable bidding strategy. Is there a way to change the way conversions are counted? Because clearly something is off. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Issue with conversion value tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Are you using AdWords conversion code, or importing goals from Analytics?

If it is AdWords conversion code, the most common problem is measuring page visits instead of a meaningful conversion.

What type of conversion are you trying to measure, and where have you added the conversion code?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Philip,

I will recommend you to cross check your conversions code on your website page If the conversion code will appear on pages then you need to remove immediately then your conversion issue will fix.

Because this incident happen with me that my client has uploaded the conversion code on the website pages including thankyou page and due to this mistake we are getting higher conversion number in AdWords dashboard rather than actual conversion.

Thanks,
Anand

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Though the suggestions are already there, please cross check if you are also importing GA goals within the adwords.

Else, check if you are tracking the conversions Count as:

Every
Example: if one ad click leads to three purchases, that will count as three conversions.
or
One
Example: if one ad click leads to three purchases, that will count as one conversion.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Also,

Go to Tools > Conversions and then Webpages in the menu on the left - and you will see the pages that are triggering your conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I took the conversion code from AdWords and inserted it into my website using this tutorial: http://shopifynation.com/shopify-tutorials/setup-google-adwords-tracking-shopify/.

I just checked Tools > Conversions and then Webpages and something weird is happening.

The only page being triggered is the thank_you page which is what I want. However, it appears that the thank_you page is being triggered multiple times by the same people. One person triggered the page 21 times, and another 17. Is there a way to limit the number of times a certain IP address is counted for visiting this thank_you page? I only need them to be counted once but it appears many people come back multiple times to check on the status of their order.

I want to track all the sales on my website so I have the conversion setting set to "every."

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You need to change that setting to "one". It will record a maximum of one conversion per search visitor, which is what you want. Every is the default, but one is the more often the more appropriate option.

Click Count. Select how to count your conversions:
Every: this setting is best for sales, when every conversion likely adds value for your business.
One: this setting is best for leads, such as a sign-up form on your website, when only one conversion per ad click likely adds value for your business.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095821