AdWords
5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Is it safe to link my adwords account to an mcc account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have recently started working with an advertising company and they asked us to give them our adwords customer id in order to request access to our AdWords account from their manager account. Would that mean that they will have an administrative role? If we stop our collaboration can I remove them from our adwords account or not? Is there any possibility that they could harm our account in any way? Is it safe to proceed or should I request some kind of agreement from them (as google mentions)? Thank you a lot guys, cause i'm struggling a little bit over here going on and on with these issues.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Elizabeth T,

You can give administrative access, turning OFF the administrative ownership.

Here's an overview of the different access levels for manager account users and what they can do.

Administrative owners

Managers can have administrative ownership for a managed account, which is a permission level that lets them manage user access on that account. Administrative access users on manager accounts with administrative ownership can do the following:

• Grant and remove access for all users on the managed account.
  • Change access levels for all users on the managed account.
  • Accept/decline link requests to the managed accounts from other managers
  • Turn on and off administrative ownership for other managers.
  • Remove users from a managed account.
  • Turn on and off remarketing list sharing for a managed account

​If a manager creates a new account, the manager will automatically become an administrative owner of that account. Even if a user with administrative access is added to that account, the manager will continue being the administrative owner.

Here’s how to make a manager an administrative owner:

1. Click the gear icon Gear Icon in the top corner of the managed account and select Account settings.
  2. Click Account access from the menu on the left.
  3. In the "Client managers" section, click "On" or "Off" next to the appropriate manager in the "Administrative owner" column.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Elizabeth,

Is it safe?

If they are a Google Partner, then they can lose that status if they do wrong by you and you tell Google. If they are a local business with an office and employees, you could reasonably expect them to be trustworthy. 

If you want someone to work on your AdWords account, you need to give them access so they can make changes - there's no other way. Admin access means that they could remove you, but I can't imagine any circumstance where anyone would gain from doing so.

Otherwise, it is like anything else in life. Do you trust a mechanic won't harm your car? That your cleaner won't steal from you?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Archit and Rob! So all I have to do is to accept the access of the account manager and then turn off the administrative ownership, right? Should I form some kind of agreement with them as google suggests? If I want in the future to stop the collaboration how can I stop his account manager access? Thank you very much!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As mentioned by RobSkelton, any Google Partners agency won't do so.

You can accept if you trust them.

And if you are not happy with the results or the agency is unable to meet your contract terms , you may end the contract with some deadline and terminate their access.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you a lot guys for your help! Smiley Happy