AdWords
1.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible to migrate an AdWords account to a new AdWords account?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Client is moving from one agency to another but would like to retain all past data and setup (i.e: Campaigns / AdGroups / Keywords). Is there anyways Google can migrate this account so the new agency has all the all data AND the old agency does not any more?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wajax E
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Wajax E,

The proper way to do this is to have the old agency add someone from the company they are advertising as an admin. Then the company can control their AdWords account by removing the old agency and adding the new agency and anyone else. 

AdWords - Add, Remove, Edit Users.

AdWords - User Permissions.

It is usually best to have the company work with the old agency to do this and then afterwards to add/bring in the new agency, since some agencies get a little funky about being replaced.

Another option is to pull all the account data into AdWords Editor and then push it to the new AdWords account, but this will not retain all information, history, etc.. so this not ideal. 

Please keep in mind that whoever created the AdWords account is technically the owner, so if the agency created it, they can get stern about not handing it over. If they do, Google will not get involved, nor is there a way for Google to migrate accounts, such as this, like your original help inquiry. 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wajax E
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Wajax E,

The proper way to do this is to have the old agency add someone from the company they are advertising as an admin. Then the company can control their AdWords account by removing the old agency and adding the new agency and anyone else. 

AdWords - Add, Remove, Edit Users.

AdWords - User Permissions.

It is usually best to have the company work with the old agency to do this and then afterwards to add/bring in the new agency, since some agencies get a little funky about being replaced.

Another option is to pull all the account data into AdWords Editor and then push it to the new AdWords account, but this will not retain all information, history, etc.. so this not ideal. 

Please keep in mind that whoever created the AdWords account is technically the owner, so if the agency created it, they can get stern about not handing it over. If they do, Google will not get involved, nor is there a way for Google to migrate accounts, such as this, like your original help inquiry. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks James. I had a feeling that this could be done by adding users / permissions and removing the old agency. Now just a matter of hoping the old agency will play ball!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @James_Clemens

Just as an off spin, when i take on an account like this I usually label everything up so I always have a reference of what is old and new. If not label, then some form of identifier. This is only a tiny point but it may well help you in the longer term when analysing performance like for like. For example, filter by label, compare performance of label 1 vs label 2, or date range 1 date range 2 for example. 

This of course assumes you get access by the add user route, which I hope you do Smiley Happy

Good luck

James