AdWords
2.1K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Incorrect targeting by Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a DJ agency targeting customers in SE England and our targeting is set for these counties only.

Overnight, our ads ran in India, which was absolutely not requested, halving our budget for the day with irrelevant clicks.

Can someone please advise how I can get Google to review our account and credit us?

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having.

Is your campaign set to target "People in your targeted location" or "People in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location?" (Learn more about the targeting options here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en).

My guess is that the campaign is set to target "People in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location," and that Google showed your ads to people in India because those people were showing interest in those counties in SE England based on their search/browsing history.

Let me know if you were using the setting ""People in your targeted location" and I can help you troubleshoot further.

Best,

John

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having.

Is your campaign set to target "People in your targeted location" or "People in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location?" (Learn more about the targeting options here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en).

My guess is that the campaign is set to target "People in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location," and that Google showed your ads to people in India because those people were showing interest in those counties in SE England based on their search/browsing history.

Let me know if you were using the setting ""People in your targeted location" and I can help you troubleshoot further.

Best,

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is indeed set for 'People in, searching for or who show interest in my targeted location.'

But why would Indians show interest in DJ hire in SE England? And so many of them, halving our daily budget

It doesnt make sense. I can amend the targeting but are you saying I have little recourse here to get a refund?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Regrettably, I don't think it's likely that Google will refund you, because it sounds like the traffic Google matched to your ads technically matched your targeting settings, even though it wasn't really the traffic you were hoping to get.

If you think the click activity is invalid, you can request a click investigation. Here is more info about how to do that: https://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/advertisers/click-investigation-request.html

I hope that's helpful!

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your time and advice John. Much appreciated.