AdWords
2.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Importing an AES file with Geo bid modifiers Shows location type as "Unknown"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While Importing and AES file in AdWords Editor with New Geo bid Modifiers the Location types  for few entries is mentioned as "Unknown" even though the Location ID was associated with it. 

When we export the file after checking location and then try to import it in freshly downloaded account it again shows as Location type "Unknown" which should not happen ideally.

Please Help me know how to resolve it and in case we cannot resolve it manually can we report it to the Adwords Editor Team so that they can look into this Bug.

Thanks in advance

Arpita

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Importing an AES file with Geo bid modifiers Shows location type as "Unknown"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Have you tried uploading it even though it says "unknown"? Sometimes AdWords Editor won't recognize the Location Type until it's been uploaded and updated.

Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Importing an AES file with Geo bid modifiers Shows location type as "Unknown"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I uploaded the file and checked location after which it showed me the
location type. But when Exported these changes into an AES file and it was
imported after downloading the account afresh it again showed the location
types as "Unknown" again which shouldn't be the case as i checked the
location before exporting the file into AES.

Regards
Arpita

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
This is normal and expected. The type is not written to the AES file, only the ID and name are. That's all that's needed to upload the location - the type is purely cosmetic, for your information only.

The type (and reach, another non-essential piece of information) are retrieved when the location is first resolved, which happens during Post Changes, Check Changes or Check Locations. After that, it's stored with the account data, so if you use the same location in the same account again, it'll show the type from the cache of resolved locations.

When you wiped out and redownloaded the account afresh, location cache was erased together with everything else. The download populates it with locations actually targeted by some campaign. All others will again start life in unresolved state.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Arpita,

I have not faced the same problem you have mentioned here but i do get the "location unresolved" error when I try to bulk upload locations with my campaigns.

Despite my best efforts, I have not been able to resolve this issue. My advice to you here would be to, use the multi select feature on the editor and select all the campaigns that you want to set the location for and then add locations for all them together by selecting the said location in the campaign settings section on the edit panel.

It's a bit unorthodox means of getting this done but ever since I have started doing this, I have spent less time in a campaign/account setup and more on strategy and optimization which for me are far more important.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"