AdWords
2.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

I accidently authorized an AdWord campaign by pressing a single button without learning the price.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The billing system for AdWords is really nasty. I hit "boost post" without knowledge of the cost because there was no cost clearly shown on the computer screen. I tried to stop it immediately after seeing a charge that the charity I work with could not afford. But there was NO to back out of it. I reduced the daily incidence of ads to zero, put the campaign on "pause,"  and sent a note asking that the campaign be stopped. Instead, I was amazed that Google then billed the credit card over $500 -- even before the ad was approved. I think this is unethical. There should be a way to cancel ad campaigns on Google before they have been activated or a single ad has run. And, there should be a way to design the cost of the campaign before submission. Thoughts??

2 Expert replyverified_user

I accidently authorized an AdWord campaign by pressing a single button without learning the price.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry to hear you are experiencing frustration with account charges.  Something doesn't sound right to me, with the situation you described. There has to be a piece of the puzzle missing because Google doesn't just instantly charge $500 after clicking a button, unless the account was configured for it.

This is a business issue which you may want to take up with Google.  Contact instructions are in the upper right of your AdWords account login page, near the "Gear" icon.

Keep in mind, this forum is a mostly peer-to-peer support community and we are volunteers; not Google.  So we cannot access your account, speak for, or take action for Google.

There is a mechanism for bringing a complaint to Google's attention by filing a feedback statement online, here is a link:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

hth

I cancelled a campaign before Google approval - Why wasn't the cancel honored??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The billing system for AdWords is really nasty. I hit "boost post"  for an ad for  a veterans charity I work with. I did it without knowledge of the cost because there was no cost clearly shown on the computer screen that I could see. My expectation was that after I hit "boost post" that I would be treated to a menu of how to shape the campaign. I tried to stop it immediately after seeing a charge that the charity I work with could not afford. But there was NO clear way to back out of it. I reduced the daily incidence of ads to zero, put the campaign on "pause,"  and sent a note asking that the campaign be stopped. Instead, I was amazed that Google then billed the credit card over $500 -- even though I cancelled even before the ad was approved by Google. I think this treatment is very unethical. There should be a way to cancel ad campaigns on Google before they have been activated or a single ad has run. And, there should be a way to design the cost of the campaign before submission. Thoughts??

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Bob K,

As Steve as correctly stated, there seems to be some elements not clear to us. I say this since there is no boost post with AdWords. As a Facebook developer and advertiser, I do use the boost post feature quite often there. 

Now then, with Google AdWords, you create an account, you input settings, create a campaigns, ads, targeting, etc.. With this, you have to set a daily budget, maximum bids, keywords bids... and then everything has to reviewed, which can take up to 24 hours before anything is put into action. What I am saying is that you did design the cost of the campaign before submission. You were directed step by step as to the costs associated with your campaign and what every click "could" cost you. $500 simply could not have been racked up instantly, so there has to be a misunderstanding somewhere along the way.

1) Let's review your billings section. Open AdWords, click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner and click on Billings. This is where all of your debits and credits are charted. It is likely that you were initially charged $500 based on your campaigns settings that suggested you were going to spend that rather fast.

However, Google AdWords generally starts off running ads and then changing a smaller amount and then going some weeks before charging again. No matter what, all charges are charted in your billings section and you can determine if all $500 was used up... or if it is a credit on your account. A credit means it is there for future use.

If you look at each day, you can see what you racked up in charges with performance of your campaigns. You can then go to those campaigns and adjust them. Regardless of any other settings within your account, whatever your daily limits is for each campaign is the max you will be charged... keeping in mind that your total daily cost might be up to 20% more than your average daily budget. However, you won't be charged more than your average daily budget multiplied by the average number of days in a month (30.4).

2) If you have a credit on your account, you can take all the time you want to use that amount up... but do keep in mind that every account has a billing cycle and an account limit. The billing cycle is 30 days and every limit varies based on country, business type, your specific uses, etc.. So if you owe money on the 30 day, you are charged again. If there is a credit, your account will still cycle on the 30th day and your payment method pinged for $1 or something to verify it is still credible. You must always have a credible payment method on file, even with a credit. 

3) If you do not wish to use the credit and want to back your way out of all of this, you can. Google allows you to cancel your account and request a refund, to which they will grant it. Any credit after any charges due to Google will be pushed back to your payment method on file. Please read this information to process a refund.

4) If you do not want to get a refund and wish to stay in the game, great, we can help you better understand AdWords and help you learn more about how it all works.

Please know that we are here to help... so just let us know what direction you want to go. 

All the Best,

James

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

if the issue relates to "boost post" then,
the best likely course would be to simply
contact facebook-support directly --
https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=128875150512792
https://www.facebook.com/business/resources/

boost-post relates to facebook-advertising and
has nothing whatever to do with google directly.

otherwise, for google billing issues, the best likely
course would be to simply contact google directly --
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704378
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206

this is primarily a public peer-to-peer-forum -- google tends not to address
any private, billing, or any account-specific issues in public forums, mainly
due to security and privacy concerns.

also, reviewing the change-history logs
of both the facebook-ad and google-ad
accounts may sometimes help.

see also
https://www.facebook.com/business/help/289211751238030