AdWords
3.9K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

How do you remove keywords added to the search terms?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am adding additional adgroups that are more specific, so I want to exclude some of these keywords that have been already added to a different adgroup via search terms.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Black Line C
January 2017

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Black Line C

I think you may misunderstand how that works and/or what it means.  The search term report shows you actual queries that keywords in your keywords tab triggered.  The added notation means that specific keyword can be found the list in your keyword tab. If you add a keyword from your search term report, it is added to the list in your keyword tab.  According to the screenshot, the keyword triggering these negatives are "app developers chicago," which is phrase match.  That is the one you should pause or delete.  

The errors you are getting are correct. You are attempting to create exact match negatives that directly conflict with the phrase match you are currently sponsoring.  Notice that the one without chicago, naperville, is allowed as a negative.

Hope that makes sense.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Black Line C

can you please expand your question with more detail and give an example or two?  

I think the answer to your question might be to use negatives on the adgroup level, but I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am creating location specific adgroups. An example would be creating an adgroup specific to chicago with the keyword [chicago software development] I already have that keyword added from the search terms in another generic software development adgroup and when I try to negative that keyword at the adgroup level it will not let me. The warning I get says "You cannot exclude Keywords that are targeted."

Re: How do you remove keywords added to the search terms?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

adwords.PNG

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Black Line C

you simply need to delete or at least pause that keyword in the generic software development adgroup.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Since these keywords were added through the search terms and not the regular keywords tab, I do not see an option to remove them. The only option I see is to add as a keyword or add as a negative keyword and since they are already added, It wont let me add them as negative keywords for that adgroup. Is there a way around that?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Black Line C
January 2017

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Black Line C

I think you may misunderstand how that works and/or what it means.  The search term report shows you actual queries that keywords in your keywords tab triggered.  The added notation means that specific keyword can be found the list in your keyword tab. If you add a keyword from your search term report, it is added to the list in your keyword tab.  According to the screenshot, the keyword triggering these negatives are "app developers chicago," which is phrase match.  That is the one you should pause or delete.  

The errors you are getting are correct. You are attempting to create exact match negatives that directly conflict with the phrase match you are currently sponsoring.  Notice that the one without chicago, naperville, is allowed as a negative.

Hope that makes sense.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh okay, now I understand. Thank you so much for explaining!