AdWords
1.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

How do I talk to a real person at Google Adwords? I'm stuck in phone tree

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to get admin access to our Analytics and Adwords accounts, but we have no idea who set them up. I found how to reset the admin for Analytics, but it requires that I have my Adwords account number. I have no idea how to get that since I don't have access or knowledge as to who set it up.  I can't log an online form without it and I can't access the phone help without it so I am in limbo. We don't have a bill for adwords in order to look it up because we are a non-profit that hasn't gone beyond our donation and needed to be build.

I would really like to be able to access help from someone but am unable. How can I talk to a real person to get this process of establishing a new admin started?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
July

Re: How do I talk to a real person at Google Adwords? I'm stuck in phone tree

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Corinn B

To regain access to an AdWords/Ad Grants account use this form: https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/login

To regain access to the Google For Nonprofits account, you will have to follow these steps:

1. Go to the Google for Nonprofits membership application page.
  2. Make sure that you're signed in with the Google Account you want to use to access your organization's Google for Nonprofits account.
  3. Agree to the terms and submit your TechSoup Validation Token.
  4. Locate your organization in the results.
  5. Click 'Request Administrative Privileges'.
  6. Fill out the administrative access request form.

After you fill out this form, Google will send the account owner an email asking him/her to respond to the request within 14 days. You will receive an email notification once the current owner responds to your request.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You cannot gain access to a AdWords account that you are not an owner or admin of. Google will not do it as it would breach privacy & security of the actual owner. A business does not own it... the person that created it does. 

AdWords support is not available via phone to those that do not have an active AdWords account. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, If I set up my own adwords account that has nothing to do with what has been set up for our org in the past, then I can use the method outlined here https://support.google.com/analytics/troubleshooter/7264014?hl=en&ref_topic=1009691#ts=7271146

But I can't prove ownership to a linked adwords account unless it just means linked to our domain and not linked the the specific analytics account.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Corinn,

Yes, that is correct. That process cannot be used unless there is an AdWords account since support is only offered to AdWords account holders. If you do not have access to the old AdWords account and have no way within your organization to do so... the account has nothing to do with you or your organization (technically speaking). 

Do you know if the old AdWords account is in use now? Do you have log in credentials for the Google Non Profit account? Is this still active today?

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am an admin for our google account (create new gmail users etc) is that what you mean?

Thank you for the help. I'm sorry if I am clueless about this. We are a tiny (but mighty) non-profit, so I am an accidental admin that is trying to figure things out.  I suppose I could just start over on our website with a new analytics code and adwords account, but feels like then we might be losing website data that would be of interest.

We were set up with Adwords and Analytics by a staff person that is no longer with us. So I am assuming that everything is under their login, but I have no way of retrieving that user name has been deleted.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry didn't fully answer all questions. I have no idea if the old AdWords account is still active. I'm not sure how I would check since I don't have a log in and we have never been charged anything in order to look things up on a bill.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Corinn,

No problem. We are here to assist the best we can. 

I would certainly work to regain the Analytics account since the history is valuable to your organization. 

Being the admin of a Google account does not make it the admin for AdWords (if they are not on a specific AdWords account as an admin). 

AdWords is one part of the equation for Google Ad Grants / Google for Non Profits. You can try to use this info to check the application status. This is the main page for Google for Non-Profits.

You likely need to investigate and make sure you control all of the following:

• Any Google Accounts (Gmail, drive, etc.)
  • Google G Suite (Apps for Businesses: enhanced Gmail, etc.), if you use them

• Google Analytics
  • Google Webmaster Search Console (usually connected to Google Analytics)

• Google for Non-Profit (have to have to use Google Ad Grants/AdWords) 
  • Google AdWords

Have you done any Google searches on your non-profit to see if ads are streaming... and to see how the website is doing in general? This might be worthy of doing.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@RobertCoats, if Corinn has lost access to the Google for Non-Profit account... what should she do?

Thank you sir!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
  • Any Google Accounts (Gmail, drive, etc.) I have admin access to this
  • Google G Suite (Apps for Businesses: enhanced Gmail, etc.), if you use them. We do use them and I have admin access
  • Google Analytics - I have access to an account put it does not have the same identifier that is on our website
  • Google Webmaster Search Console (usually connected to Google Analytics) - I can log in but it says I haven't verified my website yet. Not sure I want to do this since I don't have access to the identifier on the website at this time.
  • Google for Non-Profit (have to have to use Google Ad Grants/AdWords)  - I know we have/had an account. We are currently searching for the information hopefully will find tomorrow. We are using it for access to our email domain etc (I assume)
  • Google AdWords - I know that we had an active account and it was active at some point. Whether it is now, I do not know. 

Thank you for your help. I don't mind doing self service admin stuff as much as I can, but also feel like I have hit a dead end and really wish there was a service agent that could look everything up and help. Or ping the person who did set it all up and if they don't respond, give me the chance to verify my credentials.  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
July

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Corinn B

To regain access to an AdWords/Ad Grants account use this form: https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/login

To regain access to the Google For Nonprofits account, you will have to follow these steps:

1. Go to the Google for Nonprofits membership application page.
  2. Make sure that you're signed in with the Google Account you want to use to access your organization's Google for Nonprofits account.
  3. Agree to the terms and submit your TechSoup Validation Token.
  4. Locate your organization in the results.
  5. Click 'Request Administrative Privileges'.
  6. Fill out the administrative access request form.

After you fill out this form, Google will send the account owner an email asking him/her to respond to the request within 14 days. You will receive an email notification once the current owner responds to your request.