2.2K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me

How do I get my mobile business to show up in my coverage area instead of where I live?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK I've been running AdWords for over a year but when my customers search my mobile service my competitors show up in the primary search page and not mine. I live about 30 minutes outside of town. How do I get my business to show up with the others in my target working area?

2 Expert replyverified_user

How do I get my mobile business to show up in my coverage area instead of where I live?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Larry G,

Running AdWords has no effect on organic SERPs (search engine result pages). If you want to appear better organically, you will need to research Google Website Best Practices and search engine optimization and terms like that. It is rather complex and not a light subject by any means. You can also use the Google Webmaster Central Help Forum, which covers some of the aspects of your need. 

To appear more in those desired placements with your AdWords ads, you would want to audit your account for performance and verify you have enough budget to show more often, and that your targeting is set properly. And you should look at your ads, keywords, and website landing page for relevancy and quality score. 

If you need help with any of the topics above related to your AdWords operations, please let us know and we can try to assist. That is the only product we discuss here. 

All the Best,

Google AdWords Top Contributor | Google Partner | GYBO | Local Guide | My Profile

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Larry,

When advertising shifted from the print Yellow pages to the online Yellow Pages and many similar directories, advertisers could list all of the areas they serviced. This didn't work very well for searchers, as the majority of businesses that were listed for a suburb were actually based a long way away.

People have a definite preference for local services, all other things being equal. Google will show the closest matching businesses to where the searcher is. If your business is 20 kms away, you won't show up in such results, if there are many other matching businesses located closer.

Keep in mind that most businesses listed with Google have premises that people visit, so the system is geared towards that. Google is addressing this with their Home Services ads currently being trialled in San Francisco - see here:

Your current options for this particular matter are:

Move your business closer to where your potential customers are

Advertise with AdWords