1.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Help! Dramatic Loss of Search Impression Share!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Several accounts I manage have dropped from 50% impression share to 12% over night. NONE of my Key Performance Indicators, such as impressions, CPCs, average position have changed significantly.

When I look at the reasoning for this loss, its due to budget with amounts over 90%.

This is stressful because I have search impression share requirements, in contract, with my clients that are set to refrain from over competing.

From the data, what I am able to interpret is that the Google ad platform has determined to raise my eligibility for impressions by 500% overnight.

While this is great news to be ranking for more searches, it is a huge conflict of interest for my client and I as this is grounds for a termination of contract.

Why did Google implement such a drastic alteration to their ranking algorithm?

I have been optimizing for my markets for over a year and now I am frantically attempting to boost Impression share by scaling down my market, pausing nearly all my campaigns, and funneling budget into the campaigns that have the higher impression shares, whether or not they convert well. 

In case anyone asks, search impression share levels are not set directly by my client, but by their parent brand marketing compliance teamScreen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.34.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.35.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.37.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.38.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.40.29 AM.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help! Dramatic Loss of Search Impression Share!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mitch,

With this being a major holiday sales time for retailers, there are many more advertisers online. This and many other factors do affect the algorithm. Accounts also mature out, or grow stagnant, and performance adjusts out accordingly. New advertisers entering the auction, or actions of any advertisers could also affect things. It is not always going to possible to precisely have the same impression shares, clicks, etc..

You should dig into the dimensions tab and analyze the account details. There is a drop down menu (first tab) that opens up a world of data. Use that to determine what to change to dial back your targeting and overall performance.

You could pause actions for several days or severely limit them through account settings... but I know you already know this and are looking for a better solution.  

Also keep in mind that sometimes the system will over perform (at it's expense, not yours) for a short period of time to better understand the account (or for other reasons). Again, not something you can control entirely. 

Do you use any automated rules or scripts or auto bidding strategies? I image that @Jon_Gritton has a script that could throttle the account up or down daily, as needed? 

All the Best,

James

Re: Help! Dramatic Loss of Search Impression Share!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My loss impression share is from budget, not rank. Also this has happened
across multiple accounts in different markets. Competition doesn't have a
factor in this. Google decided to increase my impression eligibility by
500% overnight.

Why? I hope someone on your team could identify that. Besides giving the
same generic answers related to competition. My performance stat have
remained the same since this loss due to budget bump.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Since we are approaching the end of the month there is another factor that might be coming in to play...

Google is "allowed" (it allows itself, in fact) to overspend daily budgets by up to 20% if there is traffic available. However, they are not "allowed" to spend more than 30.4x the daily budget over the month. 

The net effect of this is that, if they have overspent in the earlier part of the month, they have to throttle the traffic somewhat in the later days in the month - could this be part of the explanation? How is your monthly budget? Are you close to the edge?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have edited the posts to show performance trends before and after the Google Upsell to increase my budget

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Mitch,

Please edit the post again and remove your full signature and privacy statement. This is a public forum and that type of information is not allowed. 

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks J,

I had replied from my email which had automatically populated that information. I did not anticipate that.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Mitch,

Very welcome... and I figured that was the case and you would want it removed. 

Back to your help inquiry... have you considered what Stickleback posted? This is a plausible situation and we see it happen with accounts, too. 

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

also.... this:

"funneling budget into the campaigns that have the higher impression shares, whether or not they convert well."

is something I would bring up with the client. If they set performance criteria, they should be aware that they will force you to make changes against their best interests when and if something like this happens. They would get better results if they allowed you to do your job without these limitations.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
June

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Interestingly, this was brought up over the past couple of days with Google.... this is their reply

We make periodic improvements to our estimation of Impression Share.  We recently launched a change which effectively added more logs data to our estimate of Impression Share lost due to budget, and thus the universe of total impressions we began looking at increased.  Advertisers may see a drop in Impression Share as a result of this change. This drop does not reflect any changes in their ads' performance.  

Seems this is something you'll need to discuss with your client as the change is something you are not going to be able to fight against - you'll probably do more harm than good if you try to "fix" it....