AdWords
2.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Help! Adwords just spent 6x my daily budget within and hour

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I set up a campaign with a daily budget of $17.85/day (I want to spend a max of $250 in two weeks). I had 1 ad group with 1 display ad go live while I continued to work on another ad group. Once I finished working on my second ad group/ads I went back to my campaign to see it had already spent over $100 in less than an hour! This has never happened to me in the past few month's I've been running ads. What could have happened?

I immediately paused the ad so it will stop spending for now.. but now half my budget is gone with a much lower performance than I've experienced in the past few months! My client is going to be pissed >.<

Any help?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julieanne G
1 month ago

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 11
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ppcchamp D,

- Make sure your campaign is not on accelerated mode for ad delivery.

- Starting October 4, 2017, campaigns will be able to spend up to twice the average daily budget to help you reach your advertising goals, like clicks and conversions.

On days with high traffic, your costs could be up to 2 times your daily budget. This spending is balanced by days when your spend is below your daily budget. However, for campaigns where you pay for conversions, your daily spend may exceed your average daily budget by more than 2 times.

Keep in mind, you won’t be charged more than your monthly charging limit: the average number of days in a month (30.4) multiplied by your average daily budget.

Check for overdelivery

Sometimes we deliver over your monthly budget. In those cases, we'll credit the overdelivery cost back. If you'd like to see whether we've given you overdelivery credits, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your AdWords account.
  2. Click the Reports tab at the top of your account.
  3. Click the Pre-defined reports drop-down menu at the top left of your screen.
  4. From the drop-down, select Basic, then Overdelivery.

To calculate overdelivery, subtract “Billed cost” from “Served cost.” To perform these calculations in bulk, click the download icon in the top right of the report and save as a .csv file.

By default, the data is displayed daily and sorted by served cost. If you wish to see for a certain date range, remove the “Day” filter and and set date range in the upper left of the table.

View solution in original post

Re: Help! Adwords just spent 6x my daily budget within and hour

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Julieanne,

• If you have set up the daily campaign budget of $17.85 then When your ads are shown more often, your total daily cost might be up to 20% more than your average daily budget. However, you won't be charged more than your average daily budget multiplied by the average number of days in a month (30.4).
  • Are you sure that this amount of $100 was for the same day only or you have selected a different date range?
  • Is any other campaign is also enabled with approx $70-$75 daily budget?
  • Check your billing from the billing tab to ensure that this amount was deducted from adwords or it was credited to your account against invalid clicks.

Always use minimum default budget while drafting any campaign or set the campaign start date for later, this is to ensure the unnecessary budget exhaust.
Or pause any campaign/adgroup while creating it. As any campaign is enabled by default at the time of creating it.

If you set the campaign start date for next date even then you can start it manually any time after drafting and cross-checking all the settings.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit,

Thanks for the response. I'm positive the amount of $100 was for the same day, it shows on the ad I just created that it's spent $109.

There is no other campaign enabled right now, and the $109 shows as the cost of my one ad in my adgroup. My billing for today shows a charge of $109 too.

Is it a possible Google error that I was over-charged my daily budget or is there something else it could be?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Are you yourself managing the adwords account or anybody else also have the access?
Check the change history if there is any change the the budget amount, if not then contact adwords phone support as adwords never exceeds this much than your daily campaign budget.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm the only one with access and I've checked the budget multiple times to make sure I'm not crazy Smiley Happy I'll have to contact them tomorrow, I don't think their support line is available on Sunday. Thanks for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1% is human and 99% is machine maybe workin at google.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You can also reach the adwords support via email support but again you will get the response on the working days only.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?rd=1#contact=1

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! I emailed them too, just very impatient and hoping it's a weird error!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
You will get your issue solved if it was not any error from your side.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

is your issues solved. same thing is here