AdWords
5.9K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Grant a customer access to adwords account?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

I have a customer who has requested access to the adwords account we manage for him in order to check how we are doing it (they have the results however). For whatever reason, the CEO of my company often creates a new account for a new customer, and we serve the result reports to them. But not the keyword strategy, campaign structure, and so on.

I am not sure whether it is totally ok to allow access to this customer. The "fearful" part of my mind tells me that an option would be that the customer copies the strategy and then says bye to us. Maybe this concern is totally pointless. What do you suggest to do, or how would you approach it?

I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks a lot!

Arturo.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Grant a customer access to adwords account?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Arturo P

In my opinion they should already own the account and have access to it.  If they copy your work and "say bye," that's just part of it.  The account architecture is just a small part of PPC management. The real skill comes with making the proper decisions in real time as data comes in and when difficult situations occur.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Personally, I could not agree more with @David K 's response.

I always give my clients full admin access and ownership of all the digital assets that I manage for them from AdWords, through Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics.

Here's why... it's their's... we are managing their advertising budget, not ours. It is their money we are spending. They should be completely entitled to see how every penny is spent and we, as professionals, should be able, and prepared, to justify our actions - even if that is doing nothing to the account.

If you are concerned about them simply taking your work and saying goodbye - think about what that says about how you view your work... that you can set it and forget it?? If this is the case, and if a client could simply take what you have done and run with it, how are you justifying your ongoing management fees?

As commented above, good structure is important but ongoing optimisation, development, testing and the interpretation of GA data is complex and clients will realise that quickly. If you take the "black box" approach to management you are much more likely to have a client that doesn't trust you in the long term.

Think about it. You go to an auto mechanic... and he says - there you go, your car is fixed - that'll be $500 please... but come back next month. You go back the next month (the car, by the way, has been running smoothly) and he says the same thing - there you are, still working perfectly - that'll be $500 please... for how long would you continue to pay him without knowing what he was doing each month for the money?

Even if your car were getting faster each month and using less fuel, you'd still want to know what he was doing to justify the $500 - or would you simply keep paying?

Same deal. In my opinion, transparency is essential for lasting business relationships.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am on the same boat as the other answers. However, a lot of PSPs use proprietary portals to share results and keyword insights, etc. I don't really know of any of the larger agencies that give you access. Even recently, while doing some competitor research pretending to quote them, I got a weird vibe from them when I asked if they give their customers access to the account.
Ultimately, it is up to you, and it is only a benefit you can tout as a value proposition if you intend to actively manage the account.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Steve,
sure I totally share your point and the point of all of you. In my thread I was only referring to the part of the whole strategy that they could take away (I would say there is nobody who is 0% concerned about this), although I am aware that big part of the job is in the optimization, and that it is their money.
I guess this is something anyway that has crossed most people´s minds.
Thank you for the answer

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks David for sharing your opinion.
I agree.

Have a good day.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you Esteban.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I agree that we are always concerned about losing clients - but this is true in any industry. Retention, however, is not going to happen by trying to keep things away from clients but rather by sharing and becoming part of the team that takes their business forward.

Only once have we lost an account for being too successful - but that's another story altogether!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

It's not by mistake that the first point in the Google Third Party Policy is regarding transparency. While it's not required to provide access, it is required that the customer has accurate data from their accounts and their account CID.  You can simply cover yourself 100% by giving them access.

That aside, it's standard operating procedure that our clients ALWAYS have access to their accounts.  We have nothing at all to hide and do not fear anyone poking around - it's when they start making changes on their own that really gets me.  However, I'd much rather explain the importance of allowing us to do our job vs explaining why a client can't/doesn't have access to their account. 

My couple of cents.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’