AdWords
1.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Google affecting fair competition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What should I do when a client (Dental) has all the remarketing lists disabled and his direct competitor uses Remarketing without a problem. Sent an inquiry to Google but no result. This is not fair competition.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

A couple of years ago Google took some pretty draconian decisions regarding remarketing lists and many, many advertisers had their lists summarily suspended. This decision was harsh and affected a few of my client accounts.

The idea was (is) that in certain verticals the fact that we know a person has visited our site gives us knowledge about that person that we could use to our advantage... and that this knowledge reflects something that is "prejudicial" to that person... so, in one of my client's cases, they offer debt consolidation... Google's thinking is that it could be concluded that a person who visits our website is likely to be in financial difficulty and that by remarketing to them we would be taking advantage of that fact.

This also affected many of our medical clients - someone visits our page on prostate cancer and we remarket our prostate cancer services to them.

Dental probably falls into this category.

The problem is that Google did not appear to apply these measures across the board. some advertisers had their lists disapproved, others did not. Even though the services they offered were identical.

Frankly, there is little to be done that I have found possible in terms of getting a disapproved list re-approved. Once disapproved, it stays disapproved.

There are a couple of options - and whilst they are not as effective, they can ease some of the pain. Firstly, you can look to run remarketing ads through a third party. Or you can run marketing ads on facebook - although this may be something you were probably already doing and is not a substitute in any universe.

Sorry I cannot offer more help... it's just not there.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for your answer, I will take in consideration the solutions ... 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Almost all medical advertisers get their AdWords remarketing lists disabled, and usually straight away (it must be automated). It is unusual that your competitor has their ads running. Are you sure they are Google ads?

While AdWords dominates search ads, there are many alternatives for remarketing that do not have the same restrictions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is unusual that my client has this problem as 4 of his competitors use remarketing without a problem.

Sent print screens, click id's to Google but no change. It's frustrating that they do not use the same rules with everybody.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

That does sound odd - do you have an example of one of the competitor URLs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

They shouldn't be remarketing, according to AdWords policy. I can only suggest that either they are really new ads and they will be disabled soon. Or they are very old ads and somehow have never been checked.

The other possibility is that they are just regular display ads, and not remarketing.