AdWords
5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords Editor - Saving Column/Stats Settings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Every time I am prompted to update Google Adwords Editor, it deletes the metrics that I have saved in Statistics, and also the Columns I have saved in the viewing area.

Given the frequency of updates now, is there any way around this? Any way to not have to redo this each time there's a new version?

Cheers
Graeme

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Graeme O
July 2016

Re: Google Adwords Editor - Saving Column/Stats Settings?

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Editor doesn't actually automatically preserve the stats set - even between individual runs of that dialog, let alone upgrades.

What happens is this. If you have a stats interval shown already (Statistics button in the toolbar shows a date range), then, when you run Download Stats dialog, it pre-selects the same stats as those downloaded with the current interval. If you don't have any stats interval selected (click Statistics button and choose None under Show Statistics) and then run the dialog, it won't pre-select any stats.

I guess you always keep some stats interval showing, so it looks to you as if the dialog preserves the stats set. It really does not, it kind of happens incidentally.

When Editor is upgraded, it wipes out all account data, including all downloaded stats intervals - so that's the one time you run Download Stats dialog when there's no stats interval showing, and you get to observe that the dialog doesn't really preserve the stats set.

I suggest you use named stat sets. Run Download Stats dialog, choose your stats the way you want them, and in the bottom right corner, check "Save this set of stats as:" and give it a name. Configure other settings to taste, and click OK. Next time you run the dialog, that name would appear in "Use saved set:" drop-down, and when you select that, the same set of stats you saved last time will be restored.

Saved stat sets are preserved across upgrades. You can have more than one, under different names.

Now to columns. Which columns are shown or hidden should in fact be automatically preserved between upgrades. If that doesn't happen, it may be a bug. We'll look into that.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Graeme,

I will recommend taking backup of your AdWords campaigns from AdWords Editor when you always update your AdWords Editors that will help you.

Thanks,
Anand

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
When you say "metrics", do you mean the actual downloaded stats data, or do you mean named stats sets - the kind that shows up in Download Statistics dialog under "Use saved set:"? Or something else?

The former is expected - when you upgrade, you lose all account data, including stats, and need to re-download. There are technical reasons for this, it's essentially unavoidable.

But the latter is not expected - named stats sets are supposed to be preserved across upgrades (along with saved searches and account list). So if you are losing those, something is not working right.

Are you also losing the account list? When you first run the new Editor version, Accounts Manager window opens. Is it empty (so you need to re-add your accounts), or does it still contain the accounts you have added in the previous version, only grayed out? It's supposed to be the latter.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Columns I have saved in the viewing area". What exactly do you do to save them, and what happens after the upgrade, contrary to your expectations?

Are you running Windows or Mac?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
This isn't necessary. Major updates don't remove data for the previous version. If you look in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Google\Google-AdWords-Editor, you'll see folders 222 and 232, which contain data for previous and current versions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry I'm not too familiar with the actual terms, but it's when I click on Statistics -> Get Statistics, and then in the section for "Select Stats" I tick the boxes for the stats I want to download and show. These are then saved for next time, but each time I have to update Editor they get deleted and I've got to go through and select the ones I want again - is this normal?

I'm not losing my account list. When I upgrade it still show my accounts (greyed out).

And by the columns I mean that I go through and select which columns I want to show (ie. I right click in the header area and select the columns I want to see like Clicks, Impressions, etc). When I upgrade, they are all changed back to default too. Is this normal?

I understand I may not be able to do much about this, but was just wondering. It seems Editor is updating more frequently now and I'm spending a lot of time re-setting everything to view the data I want.

Cheers
Graeme
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Graeme O
July 2016

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Editor doesn't actually automatically preserve the stats set - even between individual runs of that dialog, let alone upgrades.

What happens is this. If you have a stats interval shown already (Statistics button in the toolbar shows a date range), then, when you run Download Stats dialog, it pre-selects the same stats as those downloaded with the current interval. If you don't have any stats interval selected (click Statistics button and choose None under Show Statistics) and then run the dialog, it won't pre-select any stats.

I guess you always keep some stats interval showing, so it looks to you as if the dialog preserves the stats set. It really does not, it kind of happens incidentally.

When Editor is upgraded, it wipes out all account data, including all downloaded stats intervals - so that's the one time you run Download Stats dialog when there's no stats interval showing, and you get to observe that the dialog doesn't really preserve the stats set.

I suggest you use named stat sets. Run Download Stats dialog, choose your stats the way you want them, and in the bottom right corner, check "Save this set of stats as:" and give it a name. Configure other settings to taste, and click OK. Next time you run the dialog, that name would appear in "Use saved set:" drop-down, and when you select that, the same set of stats you saved last time will be restored.

Saved stat sets are preserved across upgrades. You can have more than one, under different names.

Now to columns. Which columns are shown or hidden should in fact be automatically preserved between upgrades. If that doesn't happen, it may be a bug. We'll look into that.

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
We were unable to reproduce the issue with column settings not being preserved across upgrades. It's possible I simply misunderstood the nature of the problem, and was testing a wrong thing. Let me detail my process, so you could tell me if you are doing something differently.

1. Install Editor 11. 4 on a clean machine.
2. Download an account.
3. Download stats for this accounts. I selected all Performance stats and Yesterday interval.
4. Right-click column heading on the grid. Under Performance, uncheck "Clicks". Clicks column is now hidden.
5. Allow Editor to auto-upgrade to 11.5 (account data is wiped out)
6. Re-download the account (same account as in step 2).
7. Download stats for this account - again, Performance and Yesterday.
8. Observe that Clicks column is still hidden. Right-click column heading, observe that Clicks under Performance is still unchecked.