AdWords
5.6K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords Editor 11.8 won't start

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Google Adwords Editor 11.8 won't start on Win7 32bit.

When I open Editor I askes for my language and when I press NEXT it freezes.

On my other pc, also Win7 32bit I get the message that it crashed when trying to start and getting the language settings.

Version 11.7 is fine!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Try installing the latest drivers for your video card. Believe it or not, that might help.

Long story: Editor uses an embedded web browser component for a few tasks. In particular, in the initial setup dialog you get when you run Editor for the first time after a fresh install, the next page after selecting the language shows Terms and Conditions, in an embedded web browser.

For certain technical reasons, between 11.7 and 11.8 we had to change the component we use for that. It appears that the new component freezes or crashes for some users (a very small number; yours is the third reported case). There are reasons to believe that the problem might be triggered by outdated video card drivers.

If you are unable to update drivers, or you do and it doesn't help, then for now the only option is to revert to Editor 11.7. You can download it here:

https://dl.google.com/dl/adwords_editor/11.7.0.0/google_adwords_editor.msi

We hope to be able to address the issue in future releases.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried what you said. I updated the drivers and it did not work. I tried downloading adwords 11.7 version and the link is broken

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Edited 11/30/2017: bringing instructions up to date.

Try this as a workaround.

1. Download Editor 12.0 (just released today); the workaround won't work for 11.8

1. Download the latest Editor version (12.2 at the time of writing). The workaround works for Editor 12.0 and later.

2. Run Editor. Choose display language. Click Next.

Most likely, v12.0 will crash at this point, same as 11.8. We are still researching the issue and, sadly, haven't found a solution yet.

3. There should now be a file named Google-AdWords-Editor.ini in the following folder:

C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Roaming\Google

You can get to it quickly by typing the following into Explorer address bar (including percent signs): %APPDATA%\Google

4. Open this file in Notepad (or any other text editor). Add this line of text at the bottom:

acceptedTermsVersion=1

acceptedTermsVersion=2

Save the file.

5. Run Editor again. This time, it should bypass the initial setup dialog (the one that crashes), and open Accounts manager window.

6. In Accounts Manager, click Help > Current AdWords Editor Terms of Use. Please review the terms and conditions, and don't use the software if you don't agree to them. By adding "acceptedTermsVersion=12" line to the INI file, you've simulated clicking "I agree" button on the Terms And Conditions page of the initial setup dialog (which is the one that's crashing).

7. In Accounts Manager, click Settings > Settings. Review that the settings are the way you'd like them, and in particular the following:

General > Enable anonymous usage tracking

Default campaign targeting > Language and Location

These would normally be collected in the initial setup dialog, after Terms and Conditions are accepted. But you would have bypassed those, so the settings would have some default values. You can change them (and any other settings) to taste now.

8. In Accounts Manager, click +ADD button. In the "Sign in to your AdWords account" dialog, make sure to use "Open browser to sign in" option. The other one, "Use in-app browser to sign in", will most likely crash Editor. Follow prompts to add your AdWords account to Editor.

That's it. Editor should be working for you now, as long as you avoid that "Use in-app browser to sign in" button.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. The above solution worked.

Google Adwords Editor 11.8 won&#39;t start

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there an alternative solution I could try if my setup is still taking me through the initial set up dialog (and freezing) even after updating the .ini file?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

In step 4, make sure you are setting

acceptedTermsVersion=2

(I've updated the instructions yesterday).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

acceptedTermsVersion=2 is what I tried today, but unfortunately I'm still getting the setup dialog when I try to run Editor again.

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hmm. I cannot reproduce, the process works for me.

Try this. Delete Google-AdWords-Editor.ini file entirely. Run Editor - you should see the language selection. Choose the language, click Next. I imagine Editor would crash at this point. A new Google-AdWords-Editor.ini file should be created, with just three lines in it. Add "acceptedTermsVersion=2" (without quotes) at the end, as the fourth line. Run Editor again. It should bypass the setup dialog and go straight to Accounts Manager window.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looks like this was an issue with which user I went into to update the .ini file, as it was an admin user trying to run setup. Working now. Thanks!