AdWords
6.4K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Editor 11.4.3 - Errors

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone!

I was posting my work on several campaigns on Editor (after I've done the 'Get Recent Changes', like I've always done), when on only 2 campaigns the changes (they were only Labels!) weren't posted (but on all the other campaigns they were). The error I get is 'Invalid. Edit to post.'. Now, there's nothing to edit, I'm just adding labels to certain ads...

This error has happened before, a few weeks ago, but Google couldn't tell me what was wrong, and somehow I managed to fix it. Still, it'd be nice to know exactly what happened, rather than just guess...

If anyone is having the same or similar issue, please let me know and if you can hep me fixing this I'd be very appreciated!

Regards,

Daniel

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel V
June 2016

Re: Google AdWords Editor 11.4.3 - Errors

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
I see a number of errors for your account in the server logs - they are all caused by trying to modify a deleted ad group, or ads under a deleted ad group. Normally, Editor wouldn't allow you to upload such changes. Somehow, it doesn't seem aware that the ad group has been deleted. This usually happens when one fails to run Get Recent Changes. I think (but not sure) it might also happen if you make edits while the ad group is still alive, and then later run Get Recent Changes whereby Editor discovers that it has been deleted - but doesn't go back and mark already-present edits as invalid.

Anyway, run Get Recent Changes > More data (slower), just to make absolutely sure you have the most recent, fresh view of the account. Then revert any edits to deleted ad groups or their children - you definitely won't be able to post them.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel V
June 2016

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
I see a number of errors for your account in the server logs - they are all caused by trying to modify a deleted ad group, or ads under a deleted ad group. Normally, Editor wouldn't allow you to upload such changes. Somehow, it doesn't seem aware that the ad group has been deleted. This usually happens when one fails to run Get Recent Changes. I think (but not sure) it might also happen if you make edits while the ad group is still alive, and then later run Get Recent Changes whereby Editor discovers that it has been deleted - but doesn't go back and mark already-present edits as invalid.

Anyway, run Get Recent Changes > More data (slower), just to make absolutely sure you have the most recent, fresh view of the account. Then revert any edits to deleted ad groups or their children - you definitely won't be able to post them.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hiya!

Thanks for replying and I saw those problems later. Problem is solved now, but it's a shame that Editor doesn't revert any changes made back... Also, if it's not "aware" that Ad Groups / ads have been deleted, maybe there's something wrong with the connection between AdWords platform and Editor?

Thanks a lot anyway.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
There is no persistent connection between AdWords servers and Editor. Editor works offline most of the time, using a local database that holds a snapshot of your account, as well as any edits you've made. It is only when you run Get Recent Changes that Editor connects to the server and picks up any changes made since it last checked.

Also, we wouldn't want to silently revert edits under a now-deleted ad group. For all we know, you've spent hours building it out, only to discover that someone else deleted it, perhaps by accident. Even though you won't be able to post those edits as-is, you could at least copy/paste them to another ad group, so your work isn't lost.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks very much for your reply!