AdWords
1.1K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Ghost calls coming using Google Forwarding Numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are receiving a lots calls not related to the business coming from GFN...Does Anybody have any idea

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Re: Ghost calls coming using Google Forwarding Numbers

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Adstk

Before you make that kind of decision, have you attempted to find out where these calls are being generated from? You define "ghost call" as a call not related to the business.  Who are these calls for? Have you tried asking where they found the number? 

Phone numbers from 3rd party services are just as susceptible to this kind of thing.  One of my client's tracking numbers still occasionally gets a call from a bill collector looking for an individual who previously used the number. Another thing to consider is that these 3rd party services cost money, whereas Google numbers are free.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Adstk

The forwarding numbers being used most likely have a history of being associated with another business/person before they were forwarding numbers. From my understanding these numbers are dynamically generated, so they are always changing. This is why I like to use a 3rd party service that lets me keep the same static number for the campaign/account I am using it to track.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've heard something similar before...but something else must be happening....we were using the GFN for many months ago...and suddenly since May 19th, the number of ghost calls represent 50% of total calls we receive..

How do you allocate/link calls coming for Adwords when your clients reach your website....you are not going to show your special number on your website...it's going to be the company regular number...so if you receive a call it could be attributed to "organic" calls and not "ppc" calls

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Adstk

so you are saying it's not dynamically generated and it's been a static number all this time?

The 3rd party service I use allows me to get a number for every source I want to track. It uses referrer information to determine this, and then javascript rewrites the real number to the appropriate tracking number on the fly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Which 3rd party would you recommend me?...Righ now it is crazy, a week ago I paused GFN and ghost calls disappeared...but yesterday I put it back and ghost calls are back as well
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Adstk

Before you make that kind of decision, have you attempted to find out where these calls are being generated from? You define "ghost call" as a call not related to the business.  Who are these calls for? Have you tried asking where they found the number? 

Phone numbers from 3rd party services are just as susceptible to this kind of thing.  One of my client's tracking numbers still occasionally gets a call from a bill collector looking for an individual who previously used the number. Another thing to consider is that these 3rd party services cost money, whereas Google numbers are free.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is true. The thing is that it is very hard to find where those calls are coming from...they use different numbers, offering services...so it is a machine who is making calls using different numbers (spoofing numbers) and somehow that machine captures GFN to call us (as we were prospects). We tried checking geo traffic...area code calls but we can't find patterns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Try using Mr Number. I use that app for my calls and I put it on my parents business phone to help filter their calls. It works great. Tells you if it is spam, who it is, where it is coming from from. And you can call from it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Very interesting but we have a small call center to receive calls from clients, and on top of that, what happens if those unwanted calls are spoofing somebody else's phone number