AdWords
2.6K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Extended Headlines occuring when I don't want them to

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an issue where some of my ads are being presented with an Extended Headline even though I have included no punctuation in the Description Lines 1 or 2 - and it makes my ads look silly! See screen shots attached. Any ideas how I can prevent this?

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Extended Headlines occuring when I don't want them to

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is unusual. I haven't seen this before. There isn't any way to stop it happening. All I can suggest is write ads that make sense with description lines as separate sentences (these generally perform much better anyway)

Ultimately the display format is up to Google. You don't have control over how Google displays the components of your ads.

Google can choose to some of your ad extensions, all of them or none of them.
They might add your site URL to your headline.
They can show your description lines combined in one line, or in two different lines.

What you do have control over:

Ad copy.
Relative order of the copy - headline, description 1, description 2.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is unusual. I haven't seen this before. There isn't any way to stop it happening. All I can suggest is write ads that make sense with description lines as separate sentences (these generally perform much better anyway)

Ultimately the display format is up to Google. You don't have control over how Google displays the components of your ads.

Google can choose to some of your ad extensions, all of them or none of them.
They might add your site URL to your headline.
They can show your description lines combined in one line, or in two different lines.

What you do have control over:

Ad copy.
Relative order of the copy - headline, description 1, description 2.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

Agreed with RobSkelton, the reason behind this might be DKI where a keyword from that adgroup is pulled to headline which is relevant to user query, instead of the default headline.

And due to that keyword being short, Google has merged the Headline and Description line 1.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Shannon,

Agree Robskelton. The Text Ads display format is up to Google. We don't have control over how Google displays the components of our ads. Please find below sample sample of ads from my campaign.

Live Ads from Google Paid Result - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPz51L7FejLTXdnQ2ZhYXV5eUE/view?usp=sharing

Ads from Editor - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPz51L7FejLUld4N2c0aXlLUXM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Anand

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Anand,

I check your 2nd screen shot, i have the same question, If you are not using full stop (.) in description line 1, the how its came with the Title line?

I saw your one of post where you mention if we add full stop in between description line 1, then further line add with description line 2. But i did the same thing. It is not happening here. 

(Example your i20 ads) description line 2 cross limit 51 characters.

Thanks

Ashwan Kumar

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Looks like you may be caught up in some AdWords tests...

You can prevent the longer headline creation via the Automated Extensions menu (yep - that headline merge is an automated extension).  It's not intuitively obvious.

Campaign Management – Google AdWords.png

Top Contributor
# 7

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Phillip, that's what I want.

It would be great if I could turn it off just for particular ads or ad groups though, instead of having to turn it off for the whole account! I wish it just followed the logical punctuation rules they claim to have (http://adwords.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/longer-headlines-for-select-ads-on.html), that would have been much simpler.

For now, this will have to do.

Cheers,
Shannon