AdWords
5.1K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Extended Headline Stopped Working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Yesterday I noticed that our extended headlines have stopped working on all of our ads. The first description line is no longer the continuation of the headline as it was before for any of the ads. We are usually on position one and we hadn't made any changes to our campaign before this issue. 

I noticed that all of or competitors in the lower positions have extended headlines so I am not sure why it is happening. Extended headlines make a huge difference for us when it comes to clicks. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards,

RN

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Extended Headline Stopped Working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Google keeps on testing the variation of ads in a way they are displayed to the users online.  Sometimes they run short beta tests to understand the user behaviour as well. I will not be surprised if you start seeing your longer headlines again today.

Make sure you haven't changed the ad copies in terms of punctuation.

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi RN,

Google is currently getting ready to do a beta test around this. It is a closed beta so only those advertisers that Google invites can do the test. This could be due to this. Once the beta is Live and there is some data that can be shared, am sure the community will have details on this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the info. The only thing that I don't understand is that why other advertisers (my competition) that appear on the first, second or third position are not having this issue. I keep checking on them and it seems only I am affected by this. Hope it changes as you say soon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I hope it changes soon. It seems it is only effecting my ads and no one else (my competition) on 1st, 2nd or 3rd position.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi RN,

Are you suggesting that when your ad is showing up on the top 3 positions this does not happen for you but when your competition ranks on the top 3 positions it does for them? Or is it that you are on position 4 and it is only happening for your competition, who are on pos 1-3?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi rnadepro,

Give this article a read and check if your ads follow any of the guidelines mentioned here. If not, you may need to change your ad copies a bit to ensure your Extended Headlines work.

Link: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Extended-Ad-Headlines-The-Fluctuation-of-Punctuat...

Hope this Helps!
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nikhilm,

My ads are always on position 1 to 1.1 and the extended headline has stopped working for all my ads. However, when I look for competitors in my field, none of them are having this issue. It is only my ads that have stopped displaying with extended headlines. My ads still show, but not with extended headlines.

I have contact Google and they basically giving the same crap answer they away do (since their support rep usually just read things off a sheet of paper they have been given). They say the algorithm determines the extended headlines. They say that they can not guarantee that any ad will always show with extended headlines. So my question to them is this. Then way is it ONLY my ads have stopped showing with extended headlines and no one else?

I have looked at other people's ads (in any position) and not a single one is doing this except mine. I even looked at ads that are showing in locations that I do not advertise and they all show with extended headlines. So the algorithm is only targeting my ads because it feels like it?

Base of my frustration is that every time I call Adwords support, I talk to people who know so much less about Adwords than I do. Yesterday, I had my so called adviser call me to help me with improving my ad performance and the guy didn't know the difference between organic search and paid advertising. Are you kidding me?

Sorry I am ranting but Google crap and constant changes are getting really old.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, I have read that post before, however, my ads do meet all of the guidelines. They have been showing with extended headlines just like all of my competitors for years. Google just decided to stop showing them without the extended headlines all of a sudden and their support is as clueless as usual. They can't find anything wrong with my ads so their answer is this (well the algorithm decides to show your ads the way it is now and we can't do nothing about it).

If that is true, why not a single competitor has the same issue in or outside of my advertising area? My ads have been showing with extended headlines for years. Funny thing is, my ads always show in position 1 to 1.1 with CTR of 7.7 to 18 on average. No other advertiser in position 1 through 4 is showing like mine. 

Sorry but I am ranting and frustrated. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had a similar issue in regard to our opening hours extension.

I concur that support on the phone are truly clueless. They really were of no assistance. They suggested I make a bid adjustment for tablet devices on a call only campaign to get more clicks from tablets. Sigh.

That said, the issue automatically resolved itself after a few days, I assumed Google were just doing some testing of some sort. Maybe wait it out a bit and see what happens.