AdWords
2.2K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Domain suspended - plan to fix it

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello AdWords community. 

Wonderful friday morning surprise for me. All my client subdomains were suspended, precisely domain was suspended because of missleading claims and content.

Client was warned it might happen because of the website content but hey they thought it can't happen to them, until it did. All subdomains were suspended and conversions just stopped, and this site was converting very well for the client.

Now, because it was a huge eye opener for everybody involved we decided there's no point to change things on these websites. Decision is made it would be simpler to create new websites without missleading claims and content.

My question is, can we just change urls for ads to point on new clean websites and remove site suspension?

Or we need to create new account? Is this possible.

What is the best way to handle it keeping in mind that client don't want to make changes on suspended subdomains?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Short answer: No and No
Long reply:

You must fix the current domain before applying. Abandoning the site or the ads or opening a new account, will not resolve the issue. The violation (i.e. The cause) must be fixed. This Policy is firm with no exceptions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Moshe,

@MosheTLV I'm not sure I understand or maybe I didn't explained it correctly in the first place. I know that opening a new account and targeting the same domain is not possible.

Questions that bothers me:

1. If I want to open new account for new client in different industry, using same cc and billing info that was used for suspended site, I won't be allowed till I fix suspended site? Is my cc and billing info linked to the suspended site account so until i fix that site I won't be able to open accounts for new clients?

That's a question for new clients.

If my cc and billing info are connected to suspended site.

As for the client which site is suspended...

My plan is to open new account, using new gmail, using different cc and billing info and create ads that will lead to clean websites which are not connected in any way with suspended domain. You saying I wouldn't be able to do that as Google will recognize this somehow or it's just bad practice and violating policy but people could get away with it.

Sorry for asking to much questions Smiley Sad but I want to avoid account suspension and find a way to keep the client. I would really appreciate if I could get answers to my questions as i don't understand the way how Google enforces the rules in this situation.

Re: Domain suspended - plan to fix it

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Mirko R

Quote:
>>" If I want to open new account for new client in different industry, using same cc and billing info that was used for suspended site, I won't be allowed till I fix suspended site? Is my cc and billing info linked to the suspended site account so until i fix that site I won't be able to open accounts for new clients?

If you use the same CC and billing in a new account - you will be suspended. Note: the advertiser is banned from advertising with Google any business until the advertiser fixes the violation initially  triggered  / caused the suspension. This is a strict Policy. No waivers.

Quote: 

>>"My plan is to open a new account, using new gmail, using different cc and billing info and create ads that will lead to clean websites which are not connected in any way with suspended domain."

Google is better in  triggering  "suspended advertisers" than  finding new ones (violating the Policy). I  commonly say to suspended advertisers:  "either you fix the violation, or reborn. Since the latter is not possible - fix the violation"

Once Google signals you as a returning suspended user - it will be over, this time:  for Good! (Search this Community, we recently had a question from a suspended user since 2009, and Google does not show any leniency / tolerance.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well, that's really harsh from Google as client is prepared to give up on suspended domain for the Google advertising. Problem is, client already gets big number conversions for the suspended site through other various channels and is not willing to change content as it might affect conversions, which is bad for me. Another problem is that we used our agency cc and billing for the suspended sites account so it's a good lesson to always use clients billing when creating new accounts..I guess.

Interesting thing is that couple of our others accounts that use same cc and billing info that is used on suspended site account are not affected. Are current accounts going to stay like this or we are only restricted from creating new accounts?

@MosheTLV I've seen that thread that mentions susension from 2009. I can just repeat: that's really harsh from Google. No second chances it seems :I

Re: Domain suspended - plan to fix it

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Mirko R;

The key here is that Google's  philosophy / behavior is to keep the advertising world safe and clean. If an advertiser violated the Policy, then  the advertiser would be responsible to fix before  allowed back.

I would strongly advise not to use a company CC. If you wish to charge your client directly open a consolidated billing account. Currently, this CC risks any account(s) linked to it.

Since the client isn't allowed to be back until a fix, I strongly recommend to fix. If, in the future, the client abandons  the domain (e.g. Does not renew it because of no use) and someone else gets hold of it, the client will still be responsible to fix. But, at that time  the domain will be in the client's hand. (And this happens frequently....) 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I get it. I will just have to tell my client that there is no other way of advertising until we fix the suspended sites.

So if I'm going to fix it, will this plan work:

We already have a backup website that has clean nonmissleading content about the same product that sells on suspended domain. Can we shut down that clean backup website and use it's content, actually whole website theme and put it on suspended website? Then when we resubmit site for approval it will have totally new fresh content that obey the Google rules. If this works and we get approved, I would then cancel adwords account and bring back the old "missleading" content on website that works for the client. Don't get me wrong here, we wouldn't advertise this domain again but my next plan is to open new adwords account and create new websites with clean theme/content that was used to lift suspension. This way we get confirmation from Google this is the right and approved content to use without worrying about potential suspension.

@MosheTLV what are your thoughts about this? I think this is a good approach as we don't have to edit existing unnapproved content but remove it altogether. Just cut and paste the clean backup website on this domain.

Anybody elses opinions are welcome.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Mirko R;

I'm not sure I fully understand the approach you are planning to take.

Anyway, once the site is fixed, you will be able to ask for a review. You don't need to open a new account. Once the site approved, the account will be reinstated.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@MosheTLV

Client have one more website that promotes same product which is selling on suspended website (both websites are promoting just one product). I'm planning to take this website down and take its whole content and put it on suspended website. I have checked it and it doesn't have any misleading claims and images so we can use it to lift suspension.

After Google hopefully approves that this content is good and we can continue advertising again, I will cancel the AdWords account and bring back old content for which the site was suspended. Now why I want to do this is because the "missleading" content is driving lots of sales for a client.

After I cancel the account, client is willing to create new website with the exact content we used to lift suspension. I will create new AdWords account and will make campaigns for this new website. That way everybody is satisfied. Client gets his old "misleading" content back online and I get new website with verified content for advertising in new account.

I hope I explained it well enough :I. Can someone confirm me is this is a good plan.