AdWords
2.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Does the Google AdWords team routinely contact clients in an MCC with direct offers for help?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! I've recently got a couple of calls from Google Adwords team in India offering to help with the two of the accounts we manage. They called me thinking I was the business owner, not the agency. Then today one AdWords support guy called up my client directly offering to help with the account. My client asked him to speak with me instead.

During the phone conversation where I made it amply clear that this is in an MCC account and that we are the agency, the rep yet again emailed the client - and me - about recommended changes they wanted to make in the account.

Why is Google bypassing agencies and talking directly (calling up clients, no less) and offering to help with their accounts? And what can I do to stop this intrusive - and unethical -practice?

(Seems it happens quite often enough as seen in this thread - https://moz.com/community/q/google-contacting-clients-in-an-adwords-mcc)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Does the Google AdWords team routinely contact clients in an MCC with direct offers for help?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This question raises from tome to time. The best approach is to ask the client to tell the Google Rep that the account is managed by a 3rd party and to  refer the Rep to you,  or just say "no thanks". The rep should not call again once aware that the account is managed by a 3rd party.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well...in this case...the rep even spoke to me and I told him we are managing the account - even told him some of the stuff we'll be implementing over the next couple of weeks. But he again wrote to the client, this time offering to do the same stuff I had told him we are going to be implementing.

And, yes, this is from a *@google.com account so it is definitely a Google team member.

I have emailed him telling him to kindly desist from doing this again - but don't know if and when he'll stop.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well... This is a bit not typical, but reply the Rep and make the point clear.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Am a rep worked past in India, However we do not call the MCC or once we know the business is handled by a third party agency or MCC. May be rep might have assumed you as a Client/Business owner. 

And there is Another team which handles clients accounts by a dedicated accounts manager for the High spend clients or if the clients is ready is hire them. I guess you might have got a call from them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, I made it quite clear to the rep that we are the agency and in good faith even discussed some of the stuff we would be implementing over the next couple of weeks. And this is not a high spend client. It's a startup with a very small marketing budget right now.

It is strange that even after having a phone conversation with me, he again emailed the client wanting to do exactly the same stuff I had told him we are implementing.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

We never know Amit, Sometimes we keep getting calls from the Client, even though their business is handled by Agency in regards to the insights and recommendations to improve the campaign performance, But then if you tell them once they must stop it or please refer this to the Team manager or Operations manager if you feel its Annoying and impacting your business. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Bhanu & Moshe.

Bhanu, like I said, the Client didn't contact him and even I was open to discussing stuff with him and listening to his suggestions. I had no problems if he called / emailed me with helpful suggestions. It's just that after he was specifically told that we are the agency and he should only be reaching out to us and not the client, he still did exactly that.

But yes, if he continues, I'll get in touch with his Team manager.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I ran into this issue earlier this year and posted about it here in the forums.  In my case a Google rep had made a bad judgement call on a day when the group supervisor was out.  Not only was my client contacted, they were told there were several things badly wrong with the way their account was being managed, which were actually incorrect when you viewed the situation in the proper perspective.

I ended up speaking with the team leader at Google and making my case through a technical presentation, and they agreed not to interfere in my MCC accounts.  I told them, i am more than happy to hear their inputs and if there is some issue that doesn't get addressed, then i would have no problem with them contacting my clients. From my perspective, if there were actually an account where i was not on top of things, then i would forfeit any objection to being overridden.  But as long as I'm actively managing an account and doing a good job at it, then there shouldn't be interference from big brother, my partner Google.

Google is a very large organization and mistakes can happen.  They are also a learning organization and can benefit from feedback on occasion. I believe this is a situation where there is room for improvement, in managed accounts.  If it is an MCC account and Google sees issues, then they should give the agency first opportunity to correct it. In my experience Google makes excellent decisions and is very fair, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Of course, as i learned from the team leader at Google, it is not always as simple as that. There are "bad agencies" who will game that.  It's the classic "channel conflict" problem, circa AdWords and it's an issue in many industries.

My two centsSmiley Happy