AdWords
873 members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Do retargeting campaigns with emails ONLY work if there are 1,000 or more Gmail accounts ONLY?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a retargeting ad running and its my first one. I setup the campaign to retarget our website visitors as well as added a few lists of emails. One is over 1,000 while the rest are considerably smaller. Does each list HAVE to be 1,000 emails long and, do they HAVE to be Gmail emails?

The campaign has been running for a little over a week and I have gotten traffic from our website visitors, but nothing from our emails yet, not even a single impression. What's the Beef? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Do retargeting campaigns with emails ONLY work if there are 1,000 or more Gmail accounts ONLY?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @kcanimal1,

Your email data file can be broken down into various size, just as long as they are not over 5GB in size. 

1. Upload and save list. You can view the progress of uploading your data file under "Audiences". This process may take take up to 3 hours to complete.
  2. Add your Customer Match audience to your campaign. It may take up to 12 hours for your campaign to start serving.
    • For YouTube: add your Customer Match audience to an "Online video" campaign.
    • For Gmail: add your Customer Match audience to a "Display Network only" campaign that uses Gmail ads from the Ad gallery. To do this:
      1. Open the campaign and click the Display Network tab.
      2. Click + Targeting, and choose your campaign and ad group.
      3. Click Add targeting and select "Interests and remarketing,"
      4. Click "Remarketing lists" and select an audience.
    • For Search: add your Customer Match audience to a "Search Network only" or "Search Network with Display Select" campaign.

The emails can be Gmail or others... but only the ones that are used as a Google account become your audience. And only Gmail-Google Accounts (any email can be used for a Google account) are targeted via mail and all other options, too. 

AdWords Customer Match lets you show ads to your customers based on data about those customers that you share with Google. We understand the importance and sensitivity of your customers’ data, and we're committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of the data you share with us. This article explains how we handle the data files you upload for use in Customer Match.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help clearing this up, that's the impression I was under but the last support center I spoke with was telling me different. Looks like I still have some troubleshooting to do